Author Topic: Wood store rebuild  (Read 3979 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Wood store rebuild
« on: February 14, 2020, 09:06:36 AM »
Not been very active in the workshop lately due to having lost the roof on one of my wood stores. So I have now managed to empty it into the other which I can no longer move in there. Having inspected the damage I have decided to rebuild it from the ground up.
So I will not be turning for a couple of weeks.
So the rebuild begins as the first of my wood has arrived but still can't go and start due to waiting for the roofing material to arrive, normal delivery somewhere between 8:00am to 7:00pm
Anyway this is the pile that I can start on.

So wish me luck

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Wood store rebuild
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 09:48:00 AM »
Good luck, and leave it until next week! Storm Denis is not going to be a good assistant on the project!  ;D
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 10:52:06 AM »
Good luck, and leave it until next week! Storm Denis is not going to be a good assistant on the project!  ;D

I can start as there is plenty of prep work to do before it is assembled. Going to make it in panels like a flatpack shed.

Luckily when the winds arrive I am on the sheltered side of the house touch wood that it does not change direction ;D ;D ;D

You never know the wind might just blow the rest of the old one down ;)

Roofing material just arrived so I now have all of the parts now where is part A I hate these flat packs that don't have instructions :-[

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 11:40:11 AM »
I know what you mean, my new bench was a flat pack....  ;) most enjoyable it was too...

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 01:06:26 PM »
If your shed is without a roof, just four walls, with this storm coming at the week-end perhaps it would be a good idea to put some diagonal horizontal bracing at the corners to stiffen it. Just a thought . . . .

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 01:16:41 PM »
If your shed is without a roof, just four walls, with this storm coming at the week-end perhaps it would be a good idea to put some diagonal horizontal bracing at the corners to stiffen it. Just a thought . . . .

If the wind blows it over then no matter as it is coming down completely. The new shed will be fully assembled after the storm has passed. All I am concentrating on at the moment is cutting the wood to size and possibly assemble the panels ready for a quiet moment whereas the walls and roof will all go together in one day.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 09:55:24 AM »
Yesterday I managed to get the back panel completed, hopefully today will start some of the side panels.

First picture starting to add the feather board after squaring up the frame

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 12:43:22 PM »
Managed to get one panel a day so far this is the last two days work Made the frame for the solid end and squared it all up by measuring the diagonals to do this I first had to mark the same distance up and put a temporary cross member in place so that I could check for square.
Once a diagonal brace was added I could then clad it with feather board.

The next day I turned the first-panel upside down and used that one as a template for the end with the door opening this did speed up the framework but still had to do a little fettling as the centre support need moving over by about 3" to give the width of the door I was going to make.

Again this was then clad with feather board will not be long before I start to think about assembling it as the fourth side panel will be made in place as it is only a short panel with another door.

There is a shelf storage unit that will need to be put in there and if I built that panel I would not get it in.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 10:35:32 PM »
Considering the quantity of weather we have had, that is excellent progress, will expect a picture of it completed and loaded next week  :)

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 11:02:31 PM »
Considering the quantity of weather we have had, that is excellent progress, will expect a picture of it completed and loaded next week  :)

Nothing today as it is Pi----g oops Raining here.

Hopefully, tomorrow looks like a day for making the doors and if the panels dry, give them a coat of preservative even though the wood is already treated it will give it a more even colour.

I have had plenty of offerers to help assemble it once I am ready to erect it as the parts are all made on the two patios. The large panel will need a couple of strong men to move it.

The sooner I can get it finished and the wood moved back into it the sooner I can get into the shed for some me time.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 11:28:15 PM »
I trust you have followed the universal rule of all workshops and wood stores, i.e. built it exactly one third of the size it really should be...  ;D

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 11:16:30 AM »
I trust you have followed the universal rule of all workshops and wood stores, i.e. built it exactly one third of the size it really should be...  ;D

Where it is restricts the size that I can make it but will soon fill it to the rafters

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 05:23:56 PM »
At last, the panels have the finish on and dry. They have just dried before it started to rain again.

Now all I need is a dry day no wind and someone to help put it up. How lucky will I be to get all three at the same time?

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 08:37:55 PM »
Where are you Derek? If you are in reach of Bristol I can lend a hand but cant do much about the other 2 factors.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 09:09:17 PM »
Where are you Derek? If you are in reach of Bristol I can lend a hand but cant do much about the other 2 factors.

Thanks for the offer, I am the other side of the country down in the south-east. I do have some club members as well as some family who said they would help. As I said just need to get all three in my favour ;D ;D ;D

I still have some bits to do before final assembly. I have managed to tidy the workshop so that if I get a day when rain stops work I can at least now turn a small item for a break
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:10:48 PM by Derek »