Author Topic: Sounding bowls  (Read 1743 times)

Offline bertilak

• iron
Sounding bowls
« on: February 07, 2020, 01:17:45 PM »
Hello! This is my first post here although I've been turning for about 30 years! There was a post a few years ago about Tobias Kaye's sounding bowls. I first came across these in an article in a book I once borrowed from a library, needless to say I can't remember anything about the book! I had a go at making one using some old guitar strings and the sound was surprisingly good. What do people think about offering these for sale along with my other work? I haven't copied them but used my memory as a starting point. I'm using brass screws and zither wrest pins rather than machine heads.

Offline bertilak

• iron
Re: Sounding bowls
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 02:14:25 PM »
PS, Does anyone remember the original article? It must have been '70s or'80s and it may have been Fine Woodworking as I'm pretty sure it was black and white. Cheers!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 03:45:34 PM »
Tobias is very clear on this issue....you MUST NOT make them for sale. Tobias did all the groundwork and fine-honed the designs, which are fully registered in his name.  It is a well patented product!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 05:24:07 PM »
Tobias is very clear on this issue....you MUST NOT make them for sale. Tobias did all the groundwork and fine-honed the designs, which are fully registered in his name.  It is a well patented product!

Les

That is true Les but I do not understand how someone can demonstrate and teach someone how to make something and then say if you make one and try to sell it i will take you to Court.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline KevinMc

• iron
  • Beginner
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 06:26:21 PM »
Hi had to look that’s up to see what it was about....

Read this:

https://www.soundingbowls.com/about-us/copyright/
Water into Wine and Brass into Gold...No can do...but Wood into shavings Ohhhhh Yes. 😀

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 09:50:54 PM »
You might be better off making some Blues Bowls which are  Andrew Hall's speciality.  There is certainly no copyright issues making those...

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 05:56:10 AM »

Les

That is true Les but I do not understand how someone can demonstrate and teach someone how to make something and then say if you make one and try to sell it i will take you to Court.

Regards George

Good morning George....I wasn't aware that Tobias did demos on how to make them, but I guess that it comes down to the fact that anyone can make one for themselves, but the moment that you make one for a third party, and money changes hands, then you are in breach of copyright.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 07:21:58 AM »

Good morning George....I wasn't aware that Tobias did demos on how to make them, but I guess that it comes down to the fact that anyone can make one for themselves, but the moment that you make one for a third party, and money changes hands, then you are in breach of copyright.

Copyright would not protect this from being made and sold, no more than you can copyright a bowl or a vessel, patent would, as long as it is still in force, typically they expire after 20 years, and drawings could be copyright until 70 years after the death of the creator, but not a made object. Morally right is another matter.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 08:10:59 AM »
If you read the article carefully you will find certain elements that could be changed to ensure you are not copying someone else's concept. However I do know that Tobias has issued a licence to some turners and has been very helpful to them during construction. Bertilak why not get in touch with Tobias and ask him?

Offline bertilak

• iron
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 11:13:15 AM »
Thanks folks! I woke in the middle of last night with a blinding revelation, not quite Saul on a donkey but pretty good for me. I used to make backpacking mandolins and I still have some gorgeous Alpine Spruce I used for bellies. I'll use these, turn them circular, carve a nice rose and glue them into a recess (in effect to make a cover for the bowl), and set up a boxwood or sycamore bridge. I can use the brass screws as anchors and nuts and tune them with wrest pins. I read Tobias's statement and I respect and value all the work he did to develop the bowls. My solution is completely different from his work so I feel morally vindicated! I'll post a picture or two and maybe a video when I've done one. Thanks again!