Author Topic: Axminster wood lathe  (Read 3463 times)

Offline Beezie

• iron
Re: Axminster wood lathe
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 08:07:32 PM »
Hi all, i got my tail stock back today and to my surprise it is working a few bits were again replaced and all is well but what caused it is still a mystery which makes me think it will return to haunt me my thoughts are its to do with the digital clock on the top of the tail stock as wood chips were going through the recess the clock sits in and on to the arm inside the housing causing the arm to stick but that is just my opinion. Thanks for your comments.

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 08:53:11 PM »
Hi Beezie

Out of interest, what did Axminster say was the cause the problem(s)?

If not done already, for your peace of mind are you able to seal the gap that you're concerned about around the digital readout with some mastic sealant or similar to prevent further ingress but allow easy removal if necessary?

Offline Beezie

• iron
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 09:42:11 PM »
Hi Sandy, i asked them if the digital clock was the problem but they could not tell me the cause but the digital clock has came back from them sealed into the recess, the clock was one of the reasons i bought the lathe now i dont know if i should totally seal the housing up and lose the use of the digital clock in order to prevent the problem occurring again.

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 11:48:33 AM »
Don't see the need to remove the readout, just ensure it's sealed to prevent dust and debris ingress.  From what you've said, it sounds as if that's what Axminster has already done now.  As long as the seal has been done well then it should be effective and so I'd say you can now rule that possible cause out of the reckoning?

Offline Beezie

• iron
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2020, 09:50:30 AM »
Hi Sandy, thanks for your reply i have been away for a few days, i have been using the digital clock fingers crossed the tail stock works ok.