Author Topic: Ash bowl  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Ash bowl
« on: February 05, 2020, 07:02:45 PM »
I needed a break from some of the little jobs in the shed and needed to get my fix of turning.

Anyway nothing special I have just turned this little bowl from some ash and a little coloured filler. Turned this with and undercut to match the outer shape.

7" X 2"

As usual C & c welcome

Offline KevinMc

• iron
  • Beginner
Re: Ash bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 07:37:22 PM »
Love the simplicity of its shape and design.
 :)
Water into Wine and Brass into Gold...No can do...but Wood into shavings Ohhhhh Yes. 😀

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 11:02:33 PM »
You got it right there, there are times when glueing together a million pieces of contrasting wood, or creating a complex knuckle tapping design just don't cut it. A simple medium sized start and finish bowl well executed and pleasing to all the senses is just so much more satisfying.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 10:13:05 AM by Twisted Trees »
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 09:58:05 AM »
Thank you both much appriciated.

You got it right there, there are times when glowing together a million pieces of contrasting wood, or creating a complex knuckle tapping design just don't cut it. A simple medium sized start and finish bowl well executed and pleasing to all the senses is just so much more satisfying.

I find that when I just need to turn something I will do something that is simple in shape but still try to keep it pleasing to hold and look at. I also find that doing something like this is just so enjoyable, the same as making a more decorative piece.

Well back to some of the repair jobs and maintenance pieces that I keep putting off. I have completed the first which is more a tidy up of a vice I was given.