Author Topic: Cheeky question  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Davyc

• iron
Cheeky question
« on: February 03, 2020, 07:51:10 PM »
Hi there.
Cheeky question but I don’t suppose anyone out there happens to have a chuck lying around they no longer need.....threaded for the outboard end of a viceroy Educator lathe which is, according to what I see on tinterweb....1.5”x 9tpi left hand thread...
I would be quite happy with one that’s rusted solid too..
Cheers.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Cheeky question
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 08:20:51 PM »
Are you sure about that headstock thread size. I thought the Viceroy was the same thread as the Union Graduate 1½” x 6, although there was also a 1½”  x 8 thread used once as well.

I ask as I have a Patriot Chuck Left/Right thread 1½” x 6 I might be convinced to part with.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 09:20:08 PM »
Are you sure about that headstock thread size. I thought the Viceroy was the same thread as the Union Graduate 1½” x 6, although there was also a 1½”  x 8 thread used once as well.

I ask as I have a Patriot Chuck Left/Right thread 1½” x 6 I might be convinced to part with.
..http://www.lathes.co.uk/viceroy/page4.html states that it's a 1 1/2" x 8
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Mike Amphlett

• iron
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 10:24:19 PM »
Good luck, I found sourcing anything to thread onto either end of a Viceroy lathe a challenge. I got lucky and found a load of faceplates on eBay and got a local machine shop to machine one up to use as a backplate for an early Axminster chuck. Eventually I replaced the lathe with a Graduate.

Mike

Offline icewoodturning

• iron
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 12:37:32 PM »
Toolpost do plain backplates for their Versachuck which you can have machined to any threadsize/ hand.