Author Topic: Pewter embedded candlesticks 2  (Read 1573 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Pewter embedded candlesticks 2
« on: January 22, 2020, 08:52:11 AM »
These are an updated version of the candlesticks I posted here a while back.  The main change is that the stem tapers up more at the top (& bottom) to enclose the chrome (bought) candle holder (instead of the holder just being fixed to the top). The consequent wider metal at the base is possibly a better visual balance for the holder. 

The stems are made from a glued (regular Titebond with carefully sandpaper-roughened sheet) sandwich of wood and pewter sheet (thinner metal than before). The pewter rings in the base are cast after the stem is fixed, and then machined. The wood is stained dark to show up the metal. The metal is polished with fine pads and eventually metal polish.

Tall and thin and a bit tricky to photograph! (so allow for perspective when viewing).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 08:55:02 AM by willstewart »

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Re: Pewter embedded candlesticks 2
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 12:09:23 PM »
It's hard to see the exact detail where the stem meets the candle holder, nevertheless these are two elegant candle-sticks. I didn't realise Titebond could be used to glue metal - as the saying goes 'you learn something every day'. Nice contrast between the wood and the pewter. I like them :)

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 12:22:20 PM »
Mike313 - thanks!  The stem/holder transition is just a break - the stem inside is cone-shaped so that the holder sits down on it but there is no fixing or filler - the holder has a screw in the middle that holds it down (at the base of a longer 24mm dia tube that now fits inside the upper stem). Holders from Axminster.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 10:17:22 PM »
Like these a lot. Only query would be how the pewter affects the balance as it is pretty heavy and they are so slender and have quite small bases?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 05:16:23 AM »
They look the business! It's a very elegant design with good, sharp contrasts between the materials. I always  feel a little concerned about the relative differences in shrinkage and subsequent movement when two different materials are glued together, and there are some quite long joints on this.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 07:29:15 AM »
Will, when you are finishing/polishing the pewter, do you protect the wood to stop it from being stained by metal polish/metal dust?

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 09:41:21 AM »
bodrighywood - the base has some weight but this helps balance & they are not very heavy overall (250g each)

Les - in fact the joints feel smooth now but I have made various items such as pens with sandwiched pewter/wood and indeed after a while the wood and metal move differently and the joints can usually be 'felt' even after repeated polishing.  This is acceptable I think and the joints hold fine, once I recognized the need to thoroughly sand the metal surfaces before gluing. The cast sections in the base are not glued but cast in to dovetailed or stepped grooves for retention. The cast metal does not stick to the wood.

Mike313 - it is very hard to protect the wood from metal sanding dust.  This tends to be an issue late in finishing (so early sanding is OK) so pre-waxing the wood and then cleaning helps - but this is another reason for dark staining the wood!

Thanks All.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 10:45:57 PM »
Well they won the prize (wine) at our local club (Tudor Rose) tonight though there were a lot of good entries!

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 03:18:50 PM »
Well done, Will! Enjoy that wine, you deserve it. Two lovely candlesticks :)