Author Topic: Hardwood goblet  (Read 1384 times)

Offline iantivenan

• copper
Hardwood goblet
« on: January 15, 2020, 06:18:11 PM »
  Hi All
My first turning this year. A goblet turned from a piece labelled Beech spindle blank, but im not sure.
Any ideas?

Height - 152mm
Dia - 74mm

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Hardwood goblet
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 09:05:05 PM »
Hi...I just opened the image in another window and then enlarged it to 200% and I think it's fair to say that it isn't beech, unless it's some bizarre sub species that I've never heard of....as for what it is, well your guess is as good as mine. It's not unlike iroko, but with a few thousand commercially available timbers world-wide to choose from, and without a good close-up of end grain, then there's little way of telling.
As for the goblet, I like it a lot, especially for the proportions and the decoration/texture. My only reservation is the contrasting texture on the loose rings; it seems slightly at odds with the rest of the piece.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline iantivenan

• copper
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 05:11:18 AM »
Thanks les.
It's not the best photo of the goblet, but I had a helluva job trying to attach a photo to the thread.
It seemed softer to turn than beech and had a bit of a musty smell a bit like walnut.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 11:01:42 AM »
As Les stated certainly does not look like beech.

I like the goblet but for me, it would be much better without the rings. Rings are OK on goblets but find they look better on a simple form with a plainer stem

Offline iantivenan

• copper
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 02:32:39 PM »
I appreciate your comments Derek. My experience with selling these is that the majority of buyers are purchasing for using in a handfast ceremony. Therefore the significance of the rings is an important element of the piece. Also to a non woodturner its a real talking point as to how the captive rings are formed.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 07:04:01 PM »
Also used in chrstian wedding ceremonies where the two rings signify eternity and unity. It's a celtic tradition that started with the love spoons that were made as a sort of proposal gift.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 07:53:51 PM »
give me a close up of the grain and i'll tell you what it is.