Author Topic: ring lined bowl  (Read 1396 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
ring lined bowl
« on: January 14, 2020, 07:01:35 PM »
Another oddity - I needed a dozen of these gold effect split rings but they come by the bagful so I have tried to find something else to do with them!  They are fixed down on a varnish layer before it dries.  Obviously the fit is not perfect on a curved surface.

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
Re: ring lined bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 08:15:00 PM »
Hi Will. Sorry to sound negative, and it is only my opinion, but this does not work. The rings are not even and some of them overlap each other.  I admire your attempts to try different things but I think you may have spoilt what could have been a decent bowl.. once again sorry but keep at it,
Roger G

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 01:03:02 PM »
Roger - the bowl only exists to try this so nothing lost!  But evenness is hard because circles will not pack and the rings are not perfect.  Possibly not worth repeating but worth a try I thought.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 02:45:25 PM »
I admire your ingenuity but I agree with the previous comments. The rings themselves don't look well made, some are mis-aligned at their joints, so it was never going to work as they don't/won't lie flat. Also, I think you would need concentric circles of ever-larger rings to get a nice symmetrical pattern from the centre out to the edge and it would be a nightmare trying to find rings of the correct diameter. Nevertheless, a very creative experiment :) Keep up the good work !

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 09:10:11 PM »
Sorry....as much as I appreciate the need to experiment,. I just don't see this as worthwhile. Fair enough that you wanted to try it, but I see little point in it.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 08:59:15 AM »
As the others have said, it isn't really working. If you want to do this can I suggest you make the rings into a chain mail, trim it to below the rim then set it in a clear resin, not sure if it would work, but it would certainly be an effect.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)