Author Topic: Type little gem lathe  (Read 1802 times)

Offline turningal

• copper
Type little gem lathe
« on: December 17, 2019, 07:57:32 PM »
Hi there, I’ve just acquired one of these little beauties, any recommendations for scroll chuck to fit it?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Type little gem lathe
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 09:25:09 PM »
I'm assuming that you mean "Tyme", not "Type". If this is the case, you need to be wary of the spindle height over the bed, as this was a tiny lathe meant for lace bobbins and pencils etc, so you'll need to consider that. The lathes.co.uk website says that it has only a 2"/50mm clearance, so go for a 3"/75mm chuck body as a maximum. You'll also need to consider the spindle thread size.....it should be 2mm x 25mm, so that might be a problem.

Les

p.s. ... lots of info here.....http://www.lathes.co.uk/tyme/
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 10:03:35 PM »
I used to have one of those many years ago. Great for small things but not very powerful.

The spindle thread is M20 x 2mm. Many of the Tyme cub lathes were the same thread. I had a Craft supplies mini grip chuck with the one I had. That wasn't a scroll chuck but a variation on the collect chuck. It worked but wasn't the easiest of chucks to use.

The Sorby Patriot chuck is the only one I know of that has an insert with that thread but it's too big a chuck for the lathe. It really needs a 3" chuck. Probably the best bet is to scour the second hand sales and auction sites to see if you can find a mini-grip chuck with the right thread.

Offline turningal

• copper
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 10:33:25 PM »
Yes I meant tyme but predictive text obviously didn’t like it, thanks for the info, I’ve got it to turn pens and light pulls. Something I can easily carry around. Not much joy in finding any bits for it (tool rest) I’ll be chatting to some metal turners I think.