Author Topic: Help desperately needed  (Read 7326 times)

Offline Newbster

• iron
Re: Help desperately needed
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2019, 07:56:25 PM »
Looks like a 24mm x 3mm pitch from those pics

Ian you're absolutely right and that's the 2nd time in a row you've saved my bacon. I sent off the pics to a store and they came back with 19.1 but it is indeed 24mm and I've now put the order on hold.

Either way I need an adapter because according to the store this Lathe is pre 1986 and made before the 16 standardisation.

Based on the new measurement does this sound right to you Ian? 1x8 Female to 3/4x16 Male LA1834

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Lathe-Spindle-Adapter-6-Sizes-Fit-Most-Chucks-3-4x10-1x8-1-1-4x8-1-1-2x8-New/291286790724?hash=item43d20bb244:m:m95pIgAImZLMWWVuxadCglg

Online Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2019, 09:02:35 PM »
Dont buy that adaptor just yet!

I strongly suspect you have an imperial thread on that lathe. And it is quite small, so you should be able to buy an insert for most chuck choices. This has the advantage of keeping the chuck close to the support bearing and reduces vibrations.

Take a look here http://www.intertoolsonline.co.uk/nova/wood-turning/chucks-lathe-accessories/nova-chuck-inserts

Bit of measuring and thread counting should get you the right choice. And if you talk to them they will probably allow you to exchange if you order the wrong one.

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Newbster

• iron
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2019, 09:25:41 PM »
Dont buy that adaptor just yet!

I strongly suspect you have an imperial thread on that lathe. And it is quite small, so you should be able to buy an insert for most chuck choices. This has the advantage of keeping the chuck close to the support bearing and reduces vibrations.

Take a look here http://www.intertoolsonline.co.uk/nova/wood-turning/chucks-lathe-accessories/nova-chuck-inserts

Bit of measuring and thread counting should get you the right choice. And if you talk to them they will probably allow you to exchange if you order the wrong one.

many thanks mate. I actually found an old 1"x 8 tpi chuck on ebay that I hope does the job but talk about headaches. I'm beginning to think somebody upstairs doesn't want me to have a hobby  :D

Online Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2019, 09:47:21 PM »
I think some more pictures of the Lathe may help, The viking name hasn't inspired recognition, but quite a few lathes are painted different colours and have brand labels stuck on them but are fundamentally the same machine. Someone on here may recognise the overall lathe under a different brand and the manual may exist online.

Hope the ebay chuck fits, but if not take the 2 prong drive you just removed to an engineering shop and they will tell you exactly what the thread is, and while you are there get them to skim it and remove all the damage done in removing it  :D
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2019, 08:52:59 AM »
Ian has made a good point, looking at the thread it appears that there is a machined groove to take a grub screw or somesuch. It would be woth further investigation to prevent future damage.

Offline RichardS

• iron
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2019, 11:07:51 AM »
The Lathe looks the same as the Clarke Lathe which is the same as other branded lathes from various suppliers.

Offline Newbster

• iron
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2019, 11:50:50 AM »
I think some more pictures of the Lathe may help, The viking name hasn't inspired recognition, but quite a few lathes are painted different colours and have brand labels stuck on them but are fundamentally the same machine. Someone on here may recognise the overall lathe under a different brand and the manual may exist online.

Hope the ebay chuck fits, but if not take the 2 prong drive you just removed to an engineering shop and they will tell you exactly what the thread is, and while you are there get them to skim it and remove all the damage done in removing it  :D

Yes, I will do as you say and get that skimmed because the chances of finding another seem to be fairly remote at this stage.

Some shots which might solve the mystery of who made this.

Offline Newbster

• iron
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2019, 11:51:57 AM »
The Lathe looks the same as the Clarke Lathe which is the same as other branded lathes from various suppliers.

Do the photos above ring any bells Richard?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 11:54:42 AM by Newbster »

Offline Newbster

• iron
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2019, 12:40:23 PM »

I've done a little bit of digging. This lathe appears to be swedish made by Dal vast Industrigruppen which is now a government owned company by the name of Samhall. That's about as far as I've got but there isn't another machine like it online and it's not for the want of looking.

Offline Ianparkin

• iron
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2019, 01:06:32 PM »
You really need to be able to measure accurately the spindle
If you can borrow a digital calliper and measure across the peaks of the threads that will give you the thread diameter ..looking at your pic of the thread its likely to be one of the following
Common sizes are 24mm or 25mm or in imperial 1” 7/8” 1 1/8”
Then across as many peaks as you can measure the pitch
So if you measure 5 pitches in 15mm its 3 mm pitch....or if its 5 pitches in 12.7mm it could be 10 tpi
Then you need to measure the register diameter (the plain section after the threads)

As the lathe is made in Sweden it could be a metric form but it may be imperial
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 01:08:28 PM by Ianparkin »

Offline Newbster

• iron
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2019, 03:47:37 PM »
You really need to be able to measure accurately the spindle
If you can borrow a digital calliper and measure across the peaks of the threads that will give you the thread diameter ..looking at your pic of the thread its likely to be one of the following
Common sizes are 24mm or 25mm or in imperial 1” 7/8” 1 1/8”
Then across as many peaks as you can measure the pitch
So if you measure 5 pitches in 15mm its 3 mm pitch....or if its 5 pitches in 12.7mm it could be 10 tpi
Then you need to measure the register diameter (the plain section after the threads)

As the lathe is made in Sweden it could be a metric form but it may be imperial

Thanks Ian, it's a parallel thread @24mm and 8tpi as you accurately pointed out earlier and I had it measured exactly to confirm. The chuck that I got should fit just fine but if doesn't it's not costing a whole lot as it's a bit of a dinosaur but I'm itching to get a few bowls going as i have a clatter of wood sitting in bags ready to be immortalised  ::)

Offline Ianparkin

• iron
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2019, 06:30:05 PM »
it will not be a mixture of metric and imperial
i've never seen such a thing
24mm x 3mm
or 1" and 8tpi

Offline Newbster

• iron
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2019, 07:23:01 PM »
it will not be a mixture of metric and imperial
i've never seen such a thing
24mm x 3mm
or 1" and 8tpi

No correction the chuck size is 1" x 8 tpi

Offline Mick D

• iron
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2019, 06:43:37 PM »
Hi looking at the pic,s I think the road you need to go down is (Luna) 24x3tpi the drive gives it away
Hope this helps