Author Topic: Increda-bowl  (Read 4983 times)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Increda-bowl
« on: May 16, 2012, 10:03:31 PM »

This has to be one incredable Lady and what wonderful pieces ...   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PMEJ7rirso&feature=related ... how about the husqvarna corer, some tool that, enjoy the clip .

Cheers       David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Increda-bowl
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 11:24:13 PM »
My thoughts (for what their worth) - She's a bit exposed to that Chainsaw, didn't see much in the way of safety clothing. But she makes interesting use of it as you say. Very liberal with the oil as well.

But they are lovely pieces she makes.

Thanks for posting it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 09:34:36 PM »

It maybe advisable if there was a header to this page as a form of disclaimer that any clip posted being public, may contain practises which are or can be dangerous due to the Country in which it's made and it's safety standards or Personal skills of the turner.

Lissi's clip had been recorded and televised, she had learnt from her husband and carried on so, it may not even be known by Lissi how dangerous her work practises are. we can list foot wear, hand over tool rest and the use of the chainsaw etc.

We ourselves may not realise just how safe our own practises are, as we don't see ourselves work, do we always think of goggles or a mask when working to name a few.

Regards       David

Dave Wilcox

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 11:36:42 AM »
<Start stirring>We are so paranoid and so driven to be 100% health & safety oriented these days. All the messages above raise comment on her techniques. We all learned by making mistakes and seldom made the same one twice. This woman is marvelous and was taught to do it the way she does and it works for her perhaps because she does not see what the consequences may be, if you try to impose the "correct way" on her she would most probably have an accident. Health & Safety I always believed was supposed to be a guide not a definitive answer, if you feel better doing it your way then do it, if the wheel comes off, well sh*t 'appens as they say in all the best circles. (...and I'm sure we've all had a few of them!) It is when you fall under the spell 'that you will do it my way or no way' that things start to fall apart or just don't get done. Is it just me that thinks and feels this, I really hope not. As for business enforcement of health & safety yes some aspects did and perhaps do need looking at, but do you not think a lot of this is down to todays 'sue the arse off them' culture we have come to live in and the fact that the new generation did not have the benefit of learning by mistake as they grew up, as it was restricted by our generations fear of something going wrong. <End Stirring>

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 12:20:42 PM »
Dave, I'm with you entirely on H&S, it's origins and definition.

Although I mentioned it (under the 'My Thoughts' leader) I'd like to add however of all the saws I own, hand, electric or other powered, it's the chainsaw I take the most care over. They command the utmost respect as they take absolutely no prisoners, being so heavy but are easily swung about, without any sort of fitted safety guard.

I've watched chain-saw carvers many times and have total admiration for their ability to use such an awkward tool with the delicacy that they achieve.

I’m quite sure that Lissi is also more than comfortable with using her saw the way she does, but for myself, with a healthy respect of the things, watching her use it that way does make me wince.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 01:48:08 AM »

Dave, I see NO <stirring> at all in your comment all true as too what you said, I've seen H&S in 3 factors of different engineering which I've been involed with in my lifetime so far,  one being having carried out site repairs to a forklift ..  we could not load test them, not covered as an operator ...   ??? ...  I did some part time turning with a Company, using a large Wadkin with upto 6" sq newel post 12' an more long, I could use the lathe all day long ..  but not the pillar drill, chop, band or tablesaw as I'd not been trained to do so, all be it I own and use such tools myself ...  I've been on almost every safety awareness course out in construction and engineering and may not know it all, then somethings have at times just been so bl**dy stupid ...  my mom could of told me the same ..  well ..

It's as likely that H&S has been the reason why schools no longer teach woodwork & metalwork today ... :o ...  have I had a <stir>   ??? .. hope not .

Cheers   David

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
I did my first bit of woodturning at school pre war.
I'm sure we only had scrapers.
I made a chunky table lamp. The wiring would now be illegal.

I didn't know they'd stopped woodwork at schools, Perhaps they should start by training someone to use iodine and elastoplast.

I've an old school friend who became a lecturer and I'll ask him what's going on these days.

At Daventry one club had a wooden figure parked on a small chair in front of their display. The nice touch was a sticking plaster on its thumb !!!

Tony Malin

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 08:20:47 PM »
Iodine! I'm not sure they would allow that any more.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 08:40:43 PM »
Sorry Tony, your'e not allowed to use Iodine any more and I think you will find that you need to attend a course to apply an elastoplast, just in case you put it on the wrong finger or apply it upside down!!
 Talking all things H&S, I first started working in wood when I was 7, (not that long ago really) I used to go to work on a Saturday morning with my Dad who was a joiner/machinist. I think it started because Mother didn't want me under her feet all day. To begin with all I did was sweep up and make tea for the men, I then progressed to "taking off" at the back of the machines, by the time I was 14 I could set up and operate a spindle moulder(with square blocks!!) If that happened today there would be ructions. I have worked in the woodworking industry most of my working life and have witnessed many accidents some of them quite horrific, but they were all caused by the operator not paying attention. If you understand the operation of the machining process and take all reasonable precautions sometimes you can "push the envelope" a bit, but it must be remembered that the ability to do that only comes with experience and should never be taught or demonstrated.
  By the way I can only count to 9 3/4 on my fingers and that was my fault too.
Regards
John BHT ;)