Author Topic: Headstock spindle (Turnstyler Slide Bed Lathe)  (Read 7399 times)

Offline Maca

• iron
Re: Headstock spindle (Turnstyler Slide Bed Lathe)
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2019, 03:48:31 PM »
The mating part will be an M33 thread and that will already exist on the chuck or faceplate or whatever.  The spindle is an external (male) thread and whatever he is screwing onto it is an internal (female) thread. These are the tables but you don't actually need to know all the details.  I fully admit I may not have understood the question though.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 03:55:23 PM by Maca »

Offline Redtails5

• copper
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2019, 01:51:37 PM »
Hi
Replacement spindles ho dear i spent a good three months trying to get a spindle made to replace a faulty
One on a second hand lathe.
You will need a big bag of cash .
The debate about what material is needed comes down to one question when the spindle is hardened how much will it move?
So we have a new spindle made ,its been hardened and now it needs grinding so every thing runs true.
So the bearing journals are ground off the center hole
Which contains at one end a morse taper which also
Can be ground.
Get the picture? Can you see your hard earned cash disappearing out of your wallet.
Its the amount of work involved and the care taken to
To get you a replacement spindle.
Two points you need the shaft hardening because to leave the threads soft would lower the life of a new spindle.
All the dimensions for the front end of the spindle nose are well documented.
If you decide on a new spindle do or get a new drawing with all the sizes and fits on it
Good luck with it

Offline Charlie

• iron
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2023, 05:16:19 PM »
Hi guys I just got a Turnstyler slide bed lathe and assembled it, but does anyone have any type of manual for these lathes ? If so could I possibly beg a copy please ?

Offline Docjohn

• iron
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2023, 08:55:09 PM »
Hi Charlie
I bought mine new, off Fred Woods the maker and there was no manual, I did get a booklet for the Excal inverter which I have. I’m not sure if all the inverters were the same though.
If you have any specific questions let me know and I will try and help you
Regards
John