Author Topic: Seeking advice  (Read 4347 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Seeking advice
« on: October 28, 2019, 11:53:05 AM »
On Tuesday last week I received a phone call out of the blue, from the event organizer of a local club, asking me whether I could do a full day demo on Sunday, since the turner they had booked was not contactable, their website was down, and only after frantic calling around it emerged he had suffered a heart attack (not sure how long ago this was).
I said yes, and delivered the demo yesterday. It went OK, but as always there are things I could have done better.
I am now faced with a little ethical dilemma: clearly the other turner, who is a member of the RPT, has suffered a serious health setback, and has lost income. So for me the question arises whether I should share my earnings of the day with that turner?
Any comments welcome.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 02:18:31 PM by fuzzyturns »

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Seeking advice
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 12:03:54 PM »
There isn't really a right or wrong decision in this. If you did share then that would be a great thing to do from an ethical point of view but IMHO as you did the work accepting the fee for yourself isn't a bad thing either. Only you and your conscience can decide really.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 01:08:11 PM »
Fuzzy your ethics are to be admired just for thinking this way. I do however feel that you should accept the fee as you were the demonstrator, it is unfortunate for the professional turner but we all know the risks of being self employed. Do not over think this, you did the work and you should be paid for it.

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 02:01:05 PM »
If the other demonstrator had put you forward then it could be argued that they deserve a commission for acting as an agent - but they didn't
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 05:49:51 PM »
Do not feel guilty and accept the fee.

It is unfortunate that the original demonstrator had health problems and no one would wish that on anyone. Whoever it was I hope they have a good recovery.

You had to arrange and prepare even though it was a very short time to do so, as well as having to travel to them even if it was local.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 05:56:25 PM »
I go along with accepting the fee, as a club secretary I have had no less than three demonstrators unable to come to the club this year, that's just two more than in the last ten years! At least with mine they let me know in time for me to get someone else, and as your demonstrator did not let the club know  he could not make it, then he has no call on the fee.
Ron

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 06:17:52 PM »
What they all said, admiral thought but your time and turning.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 06:25:07 PM »
When I have felt "guilty" about a fee in the past I have asked for the cheque to be made out to a charity I support and this has become a regular feature when funds permit.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 10:13:09 PM »
There is something else that should be considered here too, if you set the precedent of giving away your fee when you replace another turner who is unable to demonstrate for whatever reason there will be a general reluctance for short notice demonstrators to step in at the last minute. Accept the fee and then whatever you do with it is up to you.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 09:09:29 AM »
Thank you to all for the feedback. I have considered all the various sides and decided to keep the fee. I agree with John that this would set a precedent that is not favourable for last minute replacements, and considering that no attempt was made by the original turner to notify relevant clubs I now also think this is the right thing to do. Again, thanks for everybody pointing out all the various aspects.