Author Topic: Defiance  (Read 1758 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Defiance
« on: October 16, 2019, 09:43:34 AM »
So here's the sibling to the crested box from a few days ago. And I will admit that in this case there was more design and prior thought involved.
When I had the crested box finished with the stand (in principle), I thought: how would this look if the box was tilted? So I took a piece of paper and drew the outline of the box with its lid at an angle (making sure that the angle was such that the lid wouldn't fall off), and then I added a stand. And then I made the stand. But when I put the box on the stand, it didn't look right.
So I decided to keep the original stand for the crested box and make another box for the new stand. This one is made from a piece slightly spalted horse chestnut, lid from zebrano and wenge, the stand is black walnut.
I chose the title because of the shape of the ornament on the lid, it seems to me that the box is raising its lid in defiance of gravity (call me a sentimental old fool, if you will).

All comments welcome.

Offline John Plater

• gold
Re: Defiance
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 09:50:49 AM »
Another interesting piece in this series ! I'm pleased that you have made a new box to fit the stand rather than to fit the new stand to the existing box. Defiance looks like it belongs together with the form and lines in the base reflected in the finial on the lid (or vice versa).
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 10:09:46 AM »
Like this, both stand and box stand out without detracting from one another.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 10:47:40 AM »
Another very interesting piece :)