Author Topic: Tool rests  (Read 11030 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Tool rests
« on: October 08, 2019, 10:44:49 AM »
I am looking for opinions on the best types - my lathe came with traditional cast, shaped rests that reach out to the piece with a shaped 'blade'.  These work fine at first but seem to be made of fairly soft metal and thus to acquire a 'ripple' on the resting surface from intermittent tool pressure, for example when rounding or turning complex shapes.  This can make it tricky to move the tool smoothly along the rest. I have ground the rest surface level again and know friends who have done the same, but this does not look like a sustainable solution.  But I also have seen and now acquired a round steel bar type tool rest that looks to be made of much harder metal and is reported not to have this problem, though it does result in the tool support point being necessarily a bit further from the piece being worked.

What is other people's experience here?

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Re: Tool rests
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 03:12:55 PM »
I use the standard rests that came with the VB36, they are of steel and reasonably hard, when they get marked I just dress with emery cloth or a fine file - never had any isues with the standard shape.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 03:43:52 PM »
I was given to understand that cast metal tool rests are softer but able to accept the shock loading when in use. A harder metal might be more brittle. I use both types of tool rest, typically the standard type on the outside of a piece and the round bar on the inside for ease of access.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline happy amateur

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 04:42:29 PM »
Would it be possible to have a steel rod welded to the original tool rest.

Fred Taylor
Orchard-woodturners.org.uk

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 05:12:16 PM »
Thanks for the replies! 

This does tend to confirm the issue - yes one can re-dress the conventional tool rest, and sometime someone could produce one with a rod fixed on top, but meanwhile the rod version seems worth using for the moment.  I doubt it is very fragile (but anyone who has broken one please say!) - not only is it pretty thick & solid but also I think of the same material as the supporting post on the standard rest anyway.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 05:29:44 PM »
My son-in-law is a welder and has made tool rests for me, and for a club member. Mie was 1" tube ent for bowl work and one was for my meber and was made from 1" bright steel bar. He is very pleased with the rest.
Ron

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 06:19:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies! 

This does tend to confirm the issue - yes one can re-dress the conventional tool rest, and sometime someone could produce one with a rod fixed on top, but meanwhile the rod version seems worth using for the moment.  I doubt it is very fragile (but anyone who has broken one please say!) - not only is it pretty thick & solid but also I think of the same material as the supporting post on the standard rest anyway.

there already is that option available to you.

look up Robust toolrests.
https://www.philironswoodturning.co.uk/lathes/robust-lathes/robust/68/robust-toolrest-price-list

you may think they are expensive but they are the best investment i've ever made.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 07:10:12 PM »
Will it sounds to me that this is a recurring problem with you. May I suggest that you have either been very unlucky with your tool rest, so perhaps an exchange is in order if you have a new lathe or perhaps you should look at the way you handle your tools. If you find you are getting a lot of tool chatter you could try moving the tool rest closer to the work, After many years with my tool rest, having to occasionally draw file it, there is still plenty of "meat" on it but despite all of the turning I do I have never formed a ripple on the tool rest.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 07:35:43 PM »
I get the odd dent in mine but that s because I have a bad habit of tapping it with the tool to get rid of shavings and dust. My fault and like John, a quick going over with a file and it's back to normal again.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline michaelb

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 09:05:25 PM »
a quick going over with a file and it's back to normal

Agree with Pete

but just add,  rub candle over rest , tool moves freely no snags
No pockets in shrouds spend it now

Offline JollyJim

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 07:44:02 AM »
Has anyone made toolposts/toolrests from hardwood ?

regards - Jim

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 08:42:04 AM »
Has anyone made toolposts/toolrests from hardwood ?

regards - Jim

I made a temporary one for a lathe I used to have to do some long spindle work. Worked OK for the job but doubt it would have been any use long term.

Pete

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 08:54:33 AM »
Stiles and Bates make steel tool rests and, as far as I remember, will adjust the design and length to suit customers requirements
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 09:19:35 AM »
Thanks for the replies! 

there already is that option available to you.

look up Robust toolrests.
https://www.philironswoodturning.co.uk/lathes/robust-lathes/robust/68/robust-toolrest-price-list

you may think they are expensive but they are the best investment i've ever made.

Thanks!  Indeed not cheap but look ideal.  I may continue with my new (Axminster) single bar design for the moment and see how I get on.

I am not sure that I do anything particular to mark my old tool rest, though awkward shaped starting pieces like burrs must contribute.  I do not knock my tools on the rest to clear them! I more often use the lathe bed which does not seem to mark (but I tap quite lightly). I agree one can file off the ripples quite easily, albeit reducing the rest a bit each time, but this feels a bit Heath Robinson to me!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 10:51:49 AM »

but this feels a bit Heath Robinson to me!

A heck of a lot cheaper though LOL.

Pete