Author Topic: Elm discus hollowform  (Read 4452 times)

Andy Coates

Elm discus hollowform
« on: February 22, 2011, 04:07:26 PM »
On Sunday night, early hours, my shoulder went out again. It happens every now and then. I've now been told it could be a torn rotator cuff and it's being treated but may need a shot in the joint or an op. A week or two will tell. And I think hollowforms are to blame. Too much stress on the right shoulder over a long period.

Anyway...on saturday I'd been cutting wood for the fire (another likely candidate for a cause) and there was a small piece of Elm that was worth turning, and a discus hollowform seemed like a good idea. The hollowing was completed on saturday, and monday I was off with the shoulder, but I had to go back in today and decided to take it easy and finish it. It needed a finial of some sort and I thought and thought about it...and then I had an idea...

I had a large slice of seriously burred Yew that could be cut into small blocks for finials, but the problem was there were a large number of voids in it. How would I get around the voids? The answer came in the turning..don't get around the voids, work with them and make a hollow burr yew finial.

Had this been a solid lump of wood I'd have made the finial smaller, but had I turned this any smaller it would have been in a hundred pieces...

So...does it work with the larger finial?

I need to take a close up shot of the interior of the finial because the inclusion is lovely inside.

thoughts?

EDIT: sorry Martin, I should have put the size in the post...

7" diameter at the widest point, and 7" tall including the finial
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:53:59 PM by Andy Coates »

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
Re: Elm discus hollowform
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 04:14:34 PM »
Hi Andy,

This most certainly does work, a normal piece of Elm is crowned with the large finial.

Would be nice to know the dimensions for reference sometimes the Golden rule does not apply, not very often but this time ceratinly does.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 04:51:06 PM »
Yep. It works for me.
John

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 09:11:51 PM »
Hi Andy, What a beautiful piece of Elm the grain pattern is super.I look forward to the close up shot.Regards John
John Smith

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 09:38:25 PM »
Good design Andy, elm and Yew works together on this piece.

Philip

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 09:58:59 PM »
Hi Andy

Works a treat

Cheers atco