Author Topic: Benjamins Best 1-1/2" HSS Round Nose Scraper  (Read 5721 times)

Offline BrianH

• gold
Re: Benjamins Best 1-1/2" HSS Round Nose Scraper
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2019, 10:21:10 AM »
hi David
Welcome
May I suggest you hold fire on buying tools at this moment in your turning career. There is a trap awaiting ALL newby turners where we read or witness someone doing wonders with a tool and think we can buy our way to their kind of skill. This is, of course a false promise, only practice, practice and then a little more practice will improve your turning.
You already have a 3/4 scraper so why not regrind its curve , if that is your requirement. the bigger tool's extra width will make hardly any difference to its cut at all.
My biggest surprise is that I am the only one on the forum offering this advice.
All the very best
Brian

Offline David Holden

• copper
Re: Benjamins Best 1-1/2" HSS Round Nose Scraper
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2019, 01:18:15 PM »
hi David
Welcome
May I suggest you hold fire on buying tools at this moment in your turning career. There is a trap awaiting ALL newby turners where we read or witness someone doing wonders with a tool and think we can buy our way to their kind of skill. This is, of course a false promise, only practice, practice and then a little more practice will improve your turning.
You already have a 3/4 scraper so why not regrind its curve , if that is your requirement. the bigger tool's extra width will make hardly any difference to its cut at all.
My biggest surprise is that I am the only one on the forum offering this advice.
All the very best
Brian

Thanks Brian, I understand what you mean. I know there are no shortcuts (no pun intended). I'm enjoying using the scraper I have now and don't really want to reshape it, that's why I wanted the bigger scraper so I can reshape/regrind it straight away and started putting into practise what I've seen. The YouTuber doesn't do anything spectacular with it by the way, he just uses it for a final tidy up before sanding.

Regards
David