Author Topic: 72-piece segmented birch bowl  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Tero Uotila

• iron
72-piece segmented birch bowl
« on: September 13, 2019, 11:43:11 AM »
Hello again everyone!
I have completed a new project and it is my first try at a larger segmented bowl.  It has 72 pieces of fairly soft birch.
I'm really not too happy about how it turned out technically, but I like the shape and finish on it.
This birch has some moisture damage i believe, it kinda looks like it's dirty or something. It has blackened a bit too much for my taste.
Over all I'm happy with it, after all it's my first try at this.

I made a video about the project, if someone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDEqCE60bgg&t=84s

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: 72-piece segmented birch bowl
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 04:57:06 AM »
Good start with a bigger project , The cutting accuracy would drive me bonkers

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 08:47:50 AM »
Another example where the complication of the making seems to be more important to the maker than the form.
I dont think the form is suitable for a segmented piece a more simple form would have worked better in my opinion.
You probably think that because you go to a lot of work to do the segmenting it deserves a complicated shape to show it off when I think just the opposite would work better.
Just my opinion

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 09:40:26 AM »
Tero you are to be applauded for trying out new techniques to you. To some extent I agree with George's comments, you have gone to all that trouble and the form lets you down.I have to say also, and I realise this is your first attempt, but some of the layers appear to be poorly glued together. It would be better when this happens, and it does to all of us from time to time, to part those rings off and reglue them.
Although segmented items can be made from soft wood you may find that making them from hard wood goves a better result.
However, you have now gone through a learning curve and I fully expect your next one to be even better.Well done.