Author Topic: Chuck for Philips Constant HD lathe  (Read 2801 times)

Offline swake

• iron
Chuck for Philips Constant HD lathe
« on: August 31, 2019, 02:43:48 PM »
Hi All,

I'm new here and registered with the hope in finding more information on the 'old' Philips Constant type HD lathe I acquired very recently. It is rather big and heavy with 62" (160cm) between centers and is in perfect condition. 1.5hp 3phase motor, belt driven with 3 speeds. Estimated weight is about 250kg, maybe more.

More particularly I'm looking to buy a chuck or preferably an adapter to M33x3.5 as that seems to be a standard now and would allow me to mount many chucks. And now starts the problem: There is no information about this lathe on the net. Not even a picture of another one. The original manufacturer could not provide any information (yeah right...).    Sooooo..... Measured the thread myself and it most probably is 1"5/8 x 8tpi.

1/ Have to confirm it effectively is 1"5/8 x 8tpi -> How? Anyone got a bolt this size  ;D ?
2/ Need an adapter -> where to find?

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
Re: Chuck for Philips Constant HD lathe
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 09:01:28 PM »
Sounds like an interesting project. Do you have any pictures?

This may help you confirm the thread identification: https://www.mdmetric.com/tech/thddat8.htm

You don't say who the original manufacturers are but that might be useful info to help people help you.

You could always get an engineering workshop to make up a suitable adaptor, stressing that the threads must be true and have suitable register faces to ensure  that the chuck runs true. Probably best to ask for locking grubscrew(s) as well.

Duncan

Offline swake

• iron
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 09:36:30 AM »
The actual brand is Philips Constant and from what I could find they are the original manufacturer. Build date is unknown but I guess somewhere in the 1970's / 1980's. The model type is 'HD'

ps: For some reason I wrote down the wrong measurement. It actually is 1"9/16 x 8 tpi.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 09:38:24 AM by swake »

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 07:11:45 PM »
If it is Belgian made chances are the thread is Metric not imperial, I would hazard a guess at  M30 x 3.5mm chuck inserts are available from Robert Sorby for the Patriot chuck in that size.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 01:45:31 AM »

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 10:56:55 AM »
Hi Swake,

if in doubt, give Philips a call. Phone no and all contact details on facebook or their own web page.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 11:27:00 AM »
Phone number is +32 3 897 97 97

website http://philipsconstant.com/en

Email info@philipsconstant.be

Offline swake

• iron
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 04:50:17 PM »
Possibly M39 x 3.0mm?

Close but it is not 3.0. It really is 8tpi. This was confirmed with a thread pitch gauge.

Major diameter is 40.1 and that would mean M40 and make life easy, but the thread really is nothing metric and even should M40x3 fit it will not be snug.

1"1/2 is significantly smaller (38.1mm)
1"5/8 is significantly bigger (41.2mm)
40.1 mm is close to 1"9/16

A Philips Constant service guy answered my mail last week: they have nothing anymore about this machine (or he doesn't want to search for it)

I found another imperial thread. It is a mix as is the case with many machines of that era.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 05:38:12 PM »
That is unfortunate, possibility is that they just re-badge'ed someone else's lathe  and have no information anymore.

I take it that face-plate is screwed to the spindle? so that is a thread reference you could use to get an exert made that steps it to a common size. These don't list your size but offer custom made option. http://www.onewayeuropa.com/chucks/adaptors.htm