Author Topic: Coloured Platter  (Read 2951 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Coloured Platter
« on: August 19, 2019, 08:19:21 AM »
A competition piece for my local club (TudorRose).  Mulberry wood so the yellow colour is natural - the residual knot is incorporated.  The blue band is good quality art acrylic ultramarine (& thus synthetic lapis lazuli) - the significance, apart from romance and the beautiful colour, is that it is an insoluble solid pigment rather than a dye and thus does not leach into the wood.  The paint (2 coats) is quite thick and leaves brushmarks which were gently sanded out with 400 grit and an unpowered bowl sander. This was then overcoated with artists 'water colour' clear varnish (thus not water but alcohol based) that brings out the deep blue colour. The decoration is coloured metal foil (& a little sparkle) pressed lightly down whilst the varnish was still just tacky and coated with more varnish. Wood finish is wax. Painting was complicated but not too difficult - and not quite perfect; I should perhaps have had even more definite turned edges.  208mm diameter.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:51:55 AM by willstewart »

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Coloured Platter
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 08:38:16 AM »
Very nice effect and a lot of effort but with a bit more care you could have made the edge of the paint were it joins the wood rim tidier.
Did you create the paint after or before doing the wood rim The way to avoid this is to make the paint go out a bit further then cut it off as you turn the outer wood rim
A good effort

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 08:52:59 AM »
George - wood before paint and you are probably right!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 09:02:45 AM »
A very pleasing effect. As has been mentioned, a revised approach would improve the junction between colour and grain.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 09:06:47 AM »
I am will LOL

I will do a WIP on my Blog how I do these if it would help you .

Regards George

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 09:29:48 AM »
I agree with Les and George reference the junction between the colour and wood. My other thought is where the colour meets the bowl may have been better to have a small area of rim showing before the bowl. A little more care on finishing of the wood on the bottom.
Other than those points a very nice paint effect and a good bowl

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 09:40:42 AM »
OK - having taken some of this to heart, and noting that the paint outer edge unevenness is on the small vertical before the outer rim I have re-finished this with a small sharp tool to make the outer paint edge sharper. 

Thanks for the comments!

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 10:31:06 AM »
Hi Will I have just made and Coloured a wide rimmed owl as Pic below if you are interested I will write it up as a WIP tonight.
You will probably find it helpful for the future
If you dont want the picture up here just say so and I will remove it

Regards George

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 10:39:32 AM »
George

A lovely piece and appreciate your putting it up.  Good to see how it is made.

Will

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 10:44:51 AM »
Thank you Will I am not trying to take anything away from you piece but I have been doing these for about 16 years so I have ironed out all the wrinkles That one took me about 3/4 of an hour inc taking the pics.it is all down to practice.
It is good to see you experimenting that is the way you learn
I will do the WIP later I told the Boss I would take her out for lunch .

Regards George

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 01:31:32 PM »
I thought that an inner rim would have been preferable then as I scrolled down through the comments I saw the same from George. Do you know where your mulberry came from ? I|suspect from the images that it is white mulberry rather than the usual black.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 01:58:10 PM »
It came from a fallen mulberry and is definitely black!  White is much paler than the very definite yellow of this one.  It does darken with exposure to light and I have reported here before on efforts to limit this (unsuccessful for the most part).  This sample is fairly fresh - it was rough cut to a plate shape a month ago and has been drying in ambient since - now reading as reasonably dry.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 02:53:28 PM »
Out of curiosity a picture with a Nikon rather than an iPhone.  The colours are more like real life!  Hard to get the blue and yellow both.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 08:30:31 PM »
Will, I am less experienced in turning than you, therefore I am hesitant in offering an opinion. However, I have to say that the modification you made improves the piece, and if you did something similar to the inner diameter, it would improve the piece even more. Overall, a pleasing shape and a lovely colour band . . . . . . .

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 09:45:45 AM »
Thanks for all the advice!  So this is a final change (I think!) with a slightly sharpened inner edge (which does look better - thanks Mike).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 02:51:04 PM by willstewart »