Author Topic: Burr Bowl  (Read 2373 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Burr Bowl
« on: August 16, 2019, 10:36:14 AM »
In between bobbins, spindles and other bread and butter stuff I find a bit oif time to 'fiddle' and experiment. This small burr bowl looked boring on its own so decided to give it a bit of a stand. The stand is made from three pieces of wood, all different, sealed and heavily coated with black car paint to give an enamelled look. Bowl is 14" long and 10" max. dia. Not happy eith the finial. Going to make a larger one and gild it with leaf.
C&C welcome and yes I know, it looks a bit like star ship Enterprise LOL

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: Burr Bowl
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 10:56:32 AM »
Very nice indeed Pete.

I agree about the finial a thin and taller one which reaches about 1/2 to 2/3rds between the stand and the underside of the bowl possibly nearer the 2/3rds

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 11:43:22 AM »
Interesting idea, Pete.  How about trying a finial which finishes just shy of the underside of the wing of the bowl ?
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 11:51:54 AM »
The bowl looks great when viewed from above. The stand definitely adds a lot to the overall appearance and is a nice piece of design in itself.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 12:26:31 PM »
Thank you all. Agreed it needs to be slimmer (sounds better than thinner LOL) and longer. I have a box off finials so will dig it out and see if any work or give me ideas.

Pete

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 12:31:49 PM »
Thank you all. Agreed it needs to be slimmer (sounds better than thinner LOL) and longer. I have a box off finials so will dig it out and see if any work or give me ideas.

Pete

Sounds a bit like me could be slimmer ;D ;D ;D

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 08:48:00 PM »
Trying to think how to describe this, a supported bowl, so a Tazza?

I don't really know but the design has a lot of elegance about it although I also agree the finial is wrong, maybe just a simple ball would work, it should not be more fiddly than the rest of the work, it would pull the eye away and detract from the overall appearance.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 07:28:03 AM »
I like this piece too but I'm thinking it might be better without a finial (or anything) there.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 09:41:27 AM »
It's an interesting combination of the engineered with the natural, but like Sandy, the feature I'm not too keen on is the finial.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 09:42:04 AM »
I have to say I agree with Sandy. The finial in that spot just upsets the flow of the piece. A bigger, taller, slimmer, whatever finial will just upset it even more.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 09:44:02 AM »
This has since been adjusted with a different, gilded finial. I'll get a photo up later .

Pete

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 04:17:58 PM »
I agree with the comments and would add that the finial is in keeping with the rest of the (very nice) design. However do not ask me what shape finial would be in keeping with this piece as I don't have a clue. Perhaps it shouldn't be a finial as such but possibly a Mark Sanger type sail type affair with a ball at the bottom in a different, contrasting material. Nice concept though Pete.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 07:35:35 PM »
As promised, quick snapshot with the final finial.  It is gilded (a pain doing that LOL)

Also tucked an ebonised wedge under the crescent as it was a bit fragile there also needed a bit of extra support. It is pretty difficult to see unless you really look so doesn't intrude on the overall look of the piece.

Pete
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 07:37:55 PM by bodrighywood »

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2019, 07:55:11 PM »
I dont think the Finial does anything for the piece Pete it is in my opinion unnecessary.
I would make the round piece that the bowl is sat on thinner and less chunky

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything