Author Topic: Salt and Pepper set  (Read 2294 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Salt and Pepper set
« on: August 16, 2019, 08:42:42 AM »
I have quite a few bowls balls so I set myself a task of making a salt and pepper set from just one of them. They measure 4 1/4" one way and 5" the other as they are not true circles, by cutting one in half I managed to get each pot from those and now they measure 2 1/4" each. The pots are Lignum Vitae The base is from Oak as is the support for the white sphere which is made from Beech painted, this represents the Jack in the game.
I know there is going to be a few replies reference the material used but C & C welcome all the same

The before and two after photos.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Salt and Pepper set
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 08:48:01 AM »
I would be interested to know how you cut it in half.Years ago before I knew any better I tried to cut one in half on the bandsaw it spun and shot over my shoulder I was very lucky it did not hit me in the face.
I think they are very nice .

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 10:53:38 AM »
I would be interested to know how you cut it in half.Years ago before I knew any better I tried to cut one in half on the bandsaw it spun and shot over my shoulder I was very lucky it did not hit me in the face.
I think they are very nice .

Regards George

Thank you George.

I know what you mean about what happens with a bandsaw I also learnt my lesson a couple of years ago doing the same. This time I did it the hard way and cut it by hand it took ages to get through it ;D ;D ;D

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 10:54:29 AM »
Make a jig to hold the ball before putting through the saw.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 10:58:43 AM »
Make a jig to hold the ball before putting through the saw.

Pete

I seem to have a corner of the workshop dedicated to jigs of various types and sizes must sort through them and dispose of or alter for other purposes. But then having another 16 balls to work through should be worth it

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 11:48:21 AM »
Mounted between centres and parted into two ? Re-purposing a bowling bowl is fine, just don't try to sell them ??
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 12:28:17 PM »
Mounted between centres and parted into two ? Re-purposing a bowling bowl is fine, just don't try to sell them ??
ATB John

Why not sell them John?

Pete

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 03:04:17 PM »
Lignum Vitae is on Appendix 1 of the CITES Convention. My understanding is that products made from it should not be offered for sale.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 03:54:51 PM »
Need to check that out as I understood that it was like ivory, new import were illegal and old, recycled or restored items were fine.

Pete

Online otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 05:52:52 PM »
Re the selling of Lignum. I was of the understanding if made from old stock it can be sold in this country and the EU, as long as we are a member. Other than that certification required and export/custom declarations required which cost and not worth the hassle as far as I’m concerned.
Michael

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 08:49:34 PM »
What a great idea.

I see these at a Bowls Club annual dinner in from of the chairman at the Top Table.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 10:26:31 PM »
Thank you Bryan

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 10:23:52 AM »
Lignum Vitae is on Appendix 1 of the CITES Convention. My understanding is that products made from it should not be offered for sale.
ATB John
I think if it is reclaimed timber you can do what you like with it, if you can't then I can make a few suggestions of where to put it!! ;D ;D ;D