Author Topic: Celebrating Sussex  (Read 2805 times)

Offline John Plater

• gold
Celebrating Sussex
« on: August 08, 2019, 03:44:56 PM »
I have been out of action for a while so it has been good to make some shavings ! The Sussex Guild, of which I am a member, set a theme for an upcoming exhibition entitled "Celebrating Sussex". I chose to attempt to reflect a Downs Landscape and a Seascape in my pieces. For me a Downs landscape is about rolling interlocking curves with seemingly random outcrops of trees and bushes such as at Chanctonbury Ring. So I chose a natural edged piece made from Sussex Beech and cut in from the edge to remove a curved section. This was then glued back to overlap the space it left. The start of the cut was reinforced with metal rods epoxied in and hidden inside a routered out piece of bark. Finished with OSMO oil. The other one is a direct representation of the so called iconic cliff line between Seaford and Eastbourne, taking in Seaford Head, the Seven Sisters and Beachy Head. The horizontal and vertical distances were scaled but I used a bit of licence to make the vertical distances bigger and better for me visually. The sea and cliff top are painted with Jo Sonja acrylic and crackle medium. Timber is Sycamore with acrylic sanding sealer and 22 wax. Comments would be welcomed.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Celebrating Sussex
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 03:48:26 PM »
Love the first but not so keen on the second. As always it is personal taste, For me having lived most of my life either by the sea or worked on it I see it as a restless, rolling, ever changing thing. the bowl is far too peaceful for me LOL.

Seriously both do what you hoped for I think but the first wins hands down for me.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 04:50:59 PM »
The first on is my favourite too. You've captured the essence of the Downs landscape. Nicely finished too.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 08:31:39 PM »
I also prefer the first turning. I can see what you are trying to portray in the second, but unfortunately the short and too straight sides detract from the overall effect.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 08:40:12 PM »
Yep, it's the first one for me, too. It wins on so many counts and really captures the essence of the competition, whereas the second doesn't have such a pleasant form and for me, the green and blue don't work well together.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 06:21:43 PM »
Many thanks for the comments, much appreciated. I too think that 01 works best. The seascape thingy was much better in my head than in reality ! It started life as a 100mm thick blank and I think that it has lost too much ! I know that "blue and green should never be seen" but I'm OK with the colours, they reflect much of the artistic representation of the cliffs, especially from the printmakers. I like the way the crackle breaks up the colour to suggest a worn landscape and ruffled sea. Anyone that knows me may well have a wry smile as "I don't do colour"  ;D It is interesting that to represent a theme I take to non woodturning methods such as cutting, carving and colouring  :) Now the acid test, will they sell ?
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 06:50:52 AM »
It's the first for me as well - lovely piece beautifully presented - as to whether they sell - beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 09:45:05 AM »
First is also my preference, but I like the idea of the second.  Perhaps the colouring is too strong?