Author Topic: Pewter/wood candlesticks  (Read 1927 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Pewter/wood candlesticks
« on: August 07, 2019, 07:24:51 PM »
Tall & thin and tricky to photograph - metal bases and collar are cast in place and machined - stems are laminated wood and 1mm pewter sheet, with epoxy glue.  Note for anyone trying this - the sheet is delivered shiny and must be roughened quite a bit (say with 80 grade) to prevent delamination on machining - and even then a scraper and/or very sharp tools is needed.  The stems are tapered in the centre to give 'moiré' patterning with the straight lamination. Cast metal sections use dovetailed or other physical confinement, as the metal is not stuck.  The wood is dark stained - on the whole this looks better because of the contrast to the metal, and also covers darkening of the wood by metal dust in sanding. Tops/holders are chrome plated commercial parts.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Pewter/wood candlesticks
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 07:29:51 PM »
Very elegant and undoubtedly tricky to do. Well worth the effort though.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 09:19:35 AM »
An excellent piece of turning ! Super forms and technically challenging. I think that the central stem might be reconsidered to blend visually with the tops and bases. There is a lovely geometrical feel to the tops and bases and I would prefer to see this reflected in the central stem. The patterning created by the taper does not look right to me in this design. Maybe retain the taper in the middle to keep the form but only use a single lamination of pewter in the middle with wood on either side. That would leave a single pewter line running up the stem reflecting the single pewter circle in the base and linking the pewter in the base to that at the top.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 08:29:08 PM »
Very elegant and the mix of pewter and the dark wood makes them equally contemporary looking.

I'm sure they will grace a fine dining table.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 08:49:33 PM »
Hats off to you Will, they're so darned sleek.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 10:52:42 AM »
Thanks for all the kind and helpful comments!  These are (2) for a wedding present for a nephew and (1) for a friend's birthday.