Author Topic: Mulberry - Vase or Bowl ?  (Read 4660 times)

Offline Steved

• copper
Mulberry - Vase or Bowl ?
« on: July 25, 2019, 11:16:06 AM »
Have been lucky enough to have a fair bit of Mulberry come my way over the last few years and as a result, it has become a bit of a favourite. For me it’s only down side is the speed at which daylight darkens it, the colours when first turned I think are spectacular.         
Not certain if this one should be called a vase or a bowl! 18x30cm.                                           
All comments welcome.         

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Mulberry - Vase or Bowl ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 11:27:47 AM »
As you say the wood does darken a lot and I dont think there is anything you can do about it .
The grain is usualy stunning.
I would not say this piece is a Bowl or a Vase I think it is an ornament.
I dont think everything has to be defined as something useful

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 11:58:49 AM »
Very nice indeed and agree this is more a decorative piece which is how I describe pieces that I have turned on a similar line to yours

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 12:45:12 PM »
Love this sort of work. Agree that it doesn't need to be classified as anything just accepted as a beautiful piece.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 08:59:15 AM »
Yes, I agree. The labels do not matter. It is a lovely decorative piece. End of. I have turned a lot of mulberry, both black and white. I have always found it to be great to turn. Cutting down the length of the burrs exposes some superb flame effects. Yes, it darkens but some people like that. Kept away from direct sunlight it will last longer.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Steved

• copper
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 10:23:24 AM »
I think I only felt the need for a category for the title on this post and where to put it in the photo archive! And ornament as a description is fine by me.
Have also had some success in slowing down the darkening by keeping the piece away from direct sunlight, though it’s not really a practical solution.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 11:24:54 AM »
Nice piece, nice wood. Have you tried a UV protective coating? I am not a fan of varnish usually, but have used it with some success for keeping purple heart purple.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Steved

• copper
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 12:12:06 PM »
On most things I make I finish with 3 or 4 coats Liberon Danish oil, which it claims has “UV added filters” and it may well slow it down but certainly hasn’t stopped any of my pieces from darkening. Would certainly be interested if anyone knows of a finish that really does work.

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 12:31:12 PM »
A very nice piece, it flows beautifully.

If the darkening of the wood is caused by UV, perhaps it would be slowed down by placing the wood in a room with laminated glass windows? They are usually fitted in domestic properties for security reasons or because of glass height or size safety issues. The plastic layer in the glass cuts down UV and certainly seems to help reduce sunlight-induced fading on carpets in our house.
Anyone any experience of this?

Duncan

Offline Steved

• copper
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 02:24:57 PM »
You make a good point regarding laminated glass and I would guess that it could be quite effective. The problem is, as soon as the piece is sold or given as a gift, its location and destiny is out of your control.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 04:36:26 PM »
The only solution I have found for purple heart is yacht varnish, which is effectively a heavy plastic coat so ruins the feel of the piece but I have made a purple heart table for my daughter which has been in several sunlight locations in multiple houses and it is still purple. have no idea if it will work the same on Mulberry, or if the plastic feel would ruin the intention of the piece, maybe you could experiment on some offcuts.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 06:12:06 PM by Twisted Trees »
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Steved

• copper
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 06:05:10 PM »
Experimenting on off cuts makes a lot of sense and I may well try that next time round.
Though not so keen on the idea of yacht varnish, even if it does work and I agree with you          “a heavy plastic coat would ruin the feel of the piece”. I think I would rather live with a darker Mulberry.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 09:52:04 AM »
I experimented with various specifically uv-blocking finishes to stop Mulberry darkening (results reported in this forum).  None work very well and I am led to the idea that it is probably blue light rather than uv which causes the darkening.  Modern LED lighting will not help!

Offline Steved

• copper
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2019, 12:37:28 PM »
I remember some years ago taking the first piece I had made in Mulberry to a gallery and they liked it that much they put it in the center of their window display and in less than a week it had turned to a chocolate brown. So I now ask galleries to keep Mulberry away from the light as much as possible.
I think I have come to the conclusion that it’s something I will just have to live with.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 07:08:47 PM »
Not just mulberry. We collected some work from a gallery recently and some of it was u nsaleable as it had been exposed tp bright sunlight so much. Most woods change colour to some extent but so do the  various stains and paint we use so be aware.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities