Author Topic: Ring Tool (Possibly)  (Read 5830 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Ring Tool (Possibly)
« on: December 02, 2018, 10:29:09 PM »
If there is one thing I've come to realise, it is that the bigger the tool, the more wood it grabs and tries to remove in one go. This is particularly the case when hollowing a vase or large bowl.
My main 'got to' tools of choice used to be the Exocet or Woodcut Pro-Forme. I've since bought a 8mm disc cutter and the smaller bite size makes it much easier to wield.

But enough of that, I've just found this YouTube video of someone making a Spoon Carving tool from an old spanner, and apart from the fact i don't possess a Die Grinder, it does not actually look too difficult to make. And of course, spanners come in all sizes.

Remembering that recently there was a discussion started by Pete (bodrighywood) looking for a Japanese Hook Tool, I thought that I'd bring this to everyone's attention. Someone might like to try make a Ring Tool from a spanner, likely to be much stronger than the current ring, welded, to the bar, type we can buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY-h3qRp308
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Ring Tool (Possibly)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 10:49:06 PM »
I use a ring tool a lot, have recently acquired a hook tool and also have a set of spanners ground for use when making spindles of fixed diameters. (Opposite end to the video) If you are using spanners as turning tools use good quality ones that hae a fdecdent strength. Some of the 'imports' can be of an inferior metak and either snap or bend DAMHIK LOL.

:pete
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:56:45 PM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 04:04:23 PM »
I'm glad he put a handle on it, all the way through I was thinking if I had made it I would've put a handle on it.
Thanks for this Bryan.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 08:23:19 PM »
It always amazes me, that people who go back to basics with their wood work, need such hi tech equipment to make their tools with.
He polished it on a buffing wheel on the lathe, so whynot turn your own handle at the same time?
Ron

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 10:10:26 PM »
Don't you have a box of old handles handy? Thought that was normal LOL. Why use up wood when ylou already have one to hand.

pete

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 06:26:54 AM »
Certainly the larger the dia of the ringtool can present some challenges especially for the novice. But like you I use the Pro-Forme for my bulk hollowing and a couple of others for finer stuff.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 07:57:50 AM »
I also have a 'hook tool' made from a ring tool that had snapped, given me by another member. It works well on smaller pieces e.g. goblets etc as a hook tool leaviong a good clean finish but wouldn't want to try and use it on anything bigger. The hook tool I have now is viscious and has taken a bit of practice but worls really well for getting the wood out.

Pete

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 10:37:35 AM »
As it happens there's a very good article relevant to this topic by Richard Findley in this months issue of Woodturning.  See Make an authentic medieval bowl by Richard Findley, Woodturning, issue 329 March 2019, pp 60-64.