Author Topic: Tool Rack ideas wanted.  (Read 2810 times)

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Tool Rack ideas wanted.
« on: June 05, 2019, 11:46:54 PM »
Hi

I have decided to rotate my lathe to be at 90 degrees to the wall, it used to be parallel to the wall and I have all my tools in a double row of holes in a set of 3x2's and reach over the lathe (obviously turning it off every time! ;))

But now I need something different, I know I have too many tools hanging up there, 32 gouges, skews, scrapers, swan neck etc. plus various MT2 tools along with the usual selection of calipers rulers and assorted chucks and jaws etc.

Already decided I am building a set of drawers with holders for the 4 chisels that are actually in use and drawers for the chucks and jaw sets that will stand between the lathe and the wall as a place to drop the tailstock onto.

I am looking for ideas for everything else, so if you have an ingenious solution for accessible tool storage please post photo's I have about 4' square of wall to use and I want it to look cool  :)

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Tool Rack ideas wanted.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 09:31:27 AM »
This is probably not exactly what you are looking for, but maybe it'll give you some inspiration. I used to have a tool rack fixed to the wall, just like you described. In my new workshop that wasn't feasible, so I decided to build one I could wheel around and get out of the way. It normally stands at the opposite wall, to avoid any accidental cuts, and it holds quite a lot of tools. I have a few spare tools in various drawers, but this is my main rack. Happy to send details about construction etc.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 10:49:07 AM »
 Thank you,  I had considered the mobile cart approach,  but as I have wall space it would be better up off the floor, the idea I had last night is to use the hook in adjustable shelving racks, make 2 boards with the bottom one half drilled as handle pockets and the top one drilled through then cut into sections so they can be set at different heights.

I am going to rebuild all of my cabinets on wheels each sized for a machine on top so I can easily shuffle things around.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 11:10:49 AM »
I have three racks(because of easy handling) these are on French cleats I kept them simple but this has worked for me for as long as I have been turning.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 11:45:57 AM »
I like that design Derek, are the holes about 40mm?

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 12:07:56 PM »
I like that design Derek, are the holes about 40mm?

Yes about 40mm in fact 1 1/2" holes drilled into a 3 1/2" wide board and then cut through the centre of the holes long enough to be able to comfortably grab a tool. I kept each rack to 10 tools and place then so all the same tools are next to each other so if I want a skew chisel they are all together. Make sure that the tools angle back enough so as not to fall out is you get a little vibration or knock into them.
I also had to keep the longer tools in the left hand rack due to hieght restrictions, good job I am a short a**e (never mind the height I need the width ;D).
This photo shows how they are constructed

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 09:26:38 PM »
I have started to make a variation on Derek's tool rack, I have one between 2 light bulbs that I can't be bothered to move! this will be at shoulder height and only for lesser used large tools e.g. the 60 degree bowl gouge and swan neck hollowing tool, because the sharp bits are above head height I have left the top holes complete rather than halved so it is more than just lean angle than stops them falling on me!

I am working on the bottom section now this will hold 29 tools in 1.5m length and will also have a toolpost holder built in and maybe some M2 holes as well the box section profile lends it self to it. progress is steady, but I do need to keep stopping to let the 42mm Forster bit cool I will be using some short length of adjustable shelving rack to allow me to re position the top holders.

Will post pictures when it is done.

Offline JollyJim

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 06:30:18 PM »
Hi,

The method I have used is by using T joints
of 1 inch waste pipe held in place by drilling
(I forget what size) for short lengths of the
waste pipe sticking out onto which the T joint
is pushed. I've tried to keep everything tight so
that I did'nt have to use glue. It's not appropriate
for big chisels that won't go through the T joint
but ok for most.
It cost quite a lot for the T's and, because I
have'nt glued the joint to the pipe, they are
prone to leaning. When I find a more appropriate
site for them, I'll get the glue out. Am I happy
with it...??? ...I think it's ok but not more than that
but I offer it up as an idea.

Although away from the subject of tool holding,
I wonder if people knew that the 'take-away food'
containers do a wonderful balancing act on their side....
I don't know what I'd do without them...

Best wishes - Jim

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 08:10:36 PM »
Blimey, unless you have a serious trade account at the plumbing store that would cost a lot!!

So this is what I have come up with so far... not particularly happy with it but my entire workshop is being refitted and it will do for now! once I have cleared out the stuff I don't want, made the cabinets I do want, put stuff away or disposed of it I may come back and do this again.

The top rack holds the longer lesser used chisels and as the wall lights show it is pretty high so I have left the top holders as full circles to prevent anything sharp testing my scalp for softness!

The bottom rack has full holes at the bottom, and it is made into a box which allows me to add a couple of magnets for steel rules and other stuff, I also made a cleat for it so I can put my spare toolrest into it.  Once the extractor hose is tied back to the wall and the cabinet holding my pattern drawers is relocated to the new position I will have capacity for 40 tools in easy reach. Have to make the all important pencil pot (which of course will be empty whenever I need a pencil) and a few other important refinements then 7 cabinets to take apart and remake as mostly drawer units and I will be able to get back to wood turning again :-)

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 10:08:09 PM »
I use this wall rack arrangement because I'm a clumsy oaf, so I prefer tools fully captured in place to avoid dislodging the tool adjacent to the one I'm reaching for. Hung on French cleats to the side of the lathe, and made out of old bedroom furniture; held together with carcass screws.

Large/awkward/little used tools get relegated to the box on the floor! Made out of old bed slats; wood shavings allowed to build up in the bottom to protect the tool ends.

Duncan
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 10:24:23 PM by Duncan A »

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 11:52:18 PM »
Thanks Duncan,

I lined the walls of my workshop with 19mm ply, so it can just have things screwed to it, I don't think what I have built is the final design, it's OK but please keep the pictures coming it may inspire others as well as me.

Why is it when you have the perfect tool storage devised the tool manufacturers come up with a twist that changes the game? I took delivery of my new 114mm Evolution chuck today, beautifully made of high quality stainless, including the chuck key, which of course means it is not magnetic, can no longer be thrown into the magnetic tray on the headstock.... luckily I went a bit oversize on the toolpost cleat, so can drill another hole for it.

If anyone is interested all holes are 45mm some of my handles are over 40mm so I went bigger on everything, it is mostly made from scrap 19mm shuttering ply, though there are also some decking offcuts and a bit of old table top in there too.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 02:51:47 PM »
I built my chisel rack from dowelling. Two racks, one above the other. The bottom one is set level and the dowels are close enough together to stop the bottom of the chisel handles dropping through. The top rack is set above the other but set at an angle, that way shorter chisels fit in one end and longer the other. The reason I made them from dowels was to reduce surface areas that shavings can sit on.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 06:04:43 PM »
I built my chisel rack from dowelling. Two racks, one above the other. The bottom one is set level and the dowels are close enough together to stop the bottom of the chisel handles dropping through. The top rack is set above the other but set at an angle, that way shorter chisels fit in one end and longer the other. The reason I made them from dowels was to reduce surface areas that shavings can sit on.

That is an excellent idea, much better if it's only the floor that needs cleaning up. Will keep that in mind for my Mk2 which is already in the planning stage... well I am thinking about it anyway  ;)

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 08:11:49 AM »
Any chance of a photo John?

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 05:57:15 PM »
I will try to remember to take one tomorrow.