Author Topic: New Website  (Read 7069 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: New Website
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 09:14:52 AM »
Thank you John T
here is a lot to think about and we will be adressing quite a few things as you will apreciate the site is new so we expect a few glitches
Thanks for the imput

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 10:18:23 AM »
A good site easy to navigate and tells the store , like all web sites the proof of the pudding is in the eating so lets hope it brings in the extra work.   I do think one of the major issues with a lot of websites is money and effort is spent on setting them up but not keeping the up dated.

Thank you Michael.
To be honest I am not looking to get extra work at my age less would be better.
I just felt that the old site had got very dated and wanted brightening up.
I tend to keep my Blog which is acessed from my Website up to date.
Unless you build the Website yourself it is not easy to keep it updated because you have to keep asking your Webmaster to do it  whereas my Blog I ca do myself

Regards George

Despite my website being so abysmal as I can't be bothered with it! In my previous life I did create many websites. One idea that may be useful to you is:-

• Have an easy photo upload system for yourself to use.
  • Ensure that photo's are uploaded into folders that match your categories
  • Get your site designer to select a random number say between 10 and 20 and randomly display that number of randomly selected pictures from the folder.

This has 2 effects, it will reduce the total number of pictures to something more visually appealing on the page (too many is confusing to the eye), plus it will make the website appear to be constantly changing as each view could give a new set of pictures.

I used this to good effect for an artists website, who like many of us produces unique pieces that are sold and gone before the ink on her website is dry. It  comes to mind as it like yours has categories and she is a prolific painter so has a choice of hundreds of images to display.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2019, 04:11:01 PM »
Thank you we now have lots to think about and will be making changes in the next day or so

Regards George

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2019, 05:16:13 AM »
I've only had a quick look - nice website :)

I have a couple of suggestions for you.

The sentence "I am a member of The Register of Professional Turners, The Association of Woodturners of Great Britain, Pembrokeshire Woodturners, The Somerset Guild of Craftsmen as well as being a founding member of the Burnham on Sea Woodturning club and is also being the author of and featuring in articles within the UK & USA" is too long. The expression "is also being" is grammatically incorrect, given that the sentence is written in the first person - "I am . . . "  "I . . . is also being". "Burnham on Sea" is missing the hyphens and "club" should have a capital C. I would re-write this sentence as "I am a member of The Register of Professional Turners, The Association of Woodturners of Great Britain, Pembrokeshire Woodturners and The Somerset Guild of Craftsmen. I am a founding member of the Burnham-on-Sea Woodturning Club and the author of articles in woodturning publications in the UK & USA."

The sentence "I display and sell my work via private appointment, commission and from various galleries and outlets" is confusing. Do you really display your work via commissions? I would suggest re-writing this sentence as  "I display and sell my work in various galleries and outlets" (with a link to the outlets). My work may be viewed by private appointment. I also undertake commissions".

In your Hollow Forms Gallery, image 13 is completely out of focus and should be removed. Image 16 is also out of focus but to a lesser extent.

Just my thoughts, feel free to ignore, I'm no website expert, nor am I an authority on the English language :)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2019, 08:03:37 AM »
Thank you Mike copied and pasted to Webmaster

Regards George

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2019, 09:51:22 AM »
Hello George,
So, I had a look. The website is straightforward to use (on my lap top as I don't use a smartphone). The content, as one would expect, is superb given the years of experience and well developed skills which underpin that content. There are errors of grammar but I think that they could be dealt with quite easily by wordsmiths who may well be clueless about woodturning !! I suspect that to do any more with a website would cost a great deal more. In my limited experience the direct control of the content of more sophisticated websites (with all of the bells and whistles which some people have come to expect) is lost and that can be quite frustrating and expensive. The bottom line, as they say, is that a non woodturner browsing for whatever reason will not be put off whilst there is plenty for the more knowledgeable to take in.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2019, 10:04:09 AM »
Thank you John
Changes are being made and it should all be done in the next day or two
I will update everybody when it is done

Regards George

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2019, 05:16:25 PM »
Hi All

This Website is now hopefully complete and up and running.
When I  put this on here I never expected the amount of possessive feedback that i have received.
All suggestions have been considered and a lot of suggestions have been implemented.
Thank you all for the possessive feedback it is very much appreciated.

Regards George

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2019, 10:06:58 PM »
The website is a master class in clarity and ease of navigation; a lot of "big bucks" website developers could learn from that.
I particularly like the fact that the top menu doesn't drop down automatically and obscure the view every time the cursor passes over it - it is so much easier to let the visitor choose.

Being pedantic, there are a few things I would change in the names on the Links page. Sorry, didn't spot them first time round, and they don't affect meaning or functionality but nevertheless:
Change Awgb to AWGB
Change Register of professional turners to Register of Professional Turners
Change Gbf Masonry Cleaning to GBF Masonry Cleaning
Change Bever Stocksaws to Beverstock Saws
Change Hampshiresheen to Hampshire Sheen

I wish our club website was half as good!
Duncan

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2019, 10:14:15 PM »
Thank you Duncan all noted and will be changed 

Regards George

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2019, 02:35:03 AM »
Very good George, it does under line the sad state of mine :)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2019, 08:25:49 AM »
Thank you Hughi I am very pleased with it.
It was done by my Granddaughters Partner Reg and it is the first one he has done.
It was not built from templets it was all done from scratch using Codes
We had a lot of helpful feedback from Members on here which was a great help.
He has orders for three more now

Regards George

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2019, 03:15:43 PM »
Had a better look at the new website today and I think it looks great. Easy to navigate and read, and a terrific variety - and quality - of work shown in the gallery.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2019, 03:41:23 PM »
Thank you Mike I am pleased you like it

Regards George