Author Topic: Emerging bud vase  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Vestas

• copper
Emerging bud vase
« on: June 10, 2019, 05:38:05 PM »
Hi
It’s now three months I’ve been turning and decided to try an offset emerging bud vase.
I was given a small log of Yew which had been in a shed for two years
Really enjoying it and try to do one item a day

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Emerging bud vase
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 10:46:11 PM »
Vestas,

I'm surprised no-one else has commented on this yet. Although I did have to copy off the image and rotate it to fully see the work properly.

Yes Yew is a wonderful wood, the grain and colours really make things made from it strand out.

The finish on the vase itself is very good  and remembering that you are still fairly new to turning, please take the following as constructive thoughts.

The vase body neck area, needs to be either a distinct change in direction (actual sharp corner) or more smoothly flowing from one to the other. You're somewhere between the two here. Strangely people working in ceramics can get away with this, where woodturners can't, and I cannot work out why.

The vase stands on a straight sided base that looks to be far too tall, making is shorter and possibly tapering it into the branch area would have lightened it's appearance.

And you have tool damage where your tool left free space and hit (not cut) the wood, that will sort itself out with time and experience but it is a shame as otherwise it is a fair piece of work.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 11:05:00 AM »
Hello Vestas,
Yes, I agree with the good advice in the reply from dr4g0nfly. If this is a first piece having been away from the lathe for a while it was quite ambitious ! Did you limber up on other stuff first ?
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 03:31:32 PM »

An interesting concept with a nice piece of yew.... we ourselves after discussion would have preferred a less chunky
    base to make the whole piece look lighter .... but only our personal choice of course. nice finish well done
    Kind Regards
    Tony di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/