Author Topic: First posting  (Read 1925 times)

Offline BIG KHS

• iron
First posting
« on: June 11, 2019, 10:23:30 PM »
Hi all

Thought I'd see what other people think.

Oak burr sculpture 23"x14" dyed, carved and finished with reactive acrylic paints.

Look forward to your opinions.

Regards Kevin

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
Re: First posting
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 12:15:38 AM »
Looks good to me especially the antique copper finish. A challenging piec with some hectic air turning, gets my vote

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 10:32:18 PM »
Kevin,

Unless this piece is far thicker than it looks, I'm at a loss to see how it held together.

But held together it has and the overall sculptural effect works well. Although I think a metallic or dark post instead of the blue one would have worked better.

If this was your first posting, roll on your second.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline BIG KHS

• iron
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 11:21:07 PM »
Hi gents

Thanks for the kind words and useful criticism.

I've dropped a side view of the piece below to show it's thickness.

I was indeed saying something like a prayer while turning it, to be totally honest I had a chuck ring half screwed on one side of it and a plywood packing piece on the other side and a small cast iron faceplate screwed to the ply as a counter balance.

The blue tube is actually a bit of copper pipe treated with the patina fluid from the reactive paint to give it an aged look but in hindsight maybe a chrome tube would have been better.

Funny you should have mentioned a second posting I was going to be putting one this evening.

Thanks again Kevin.

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 11:09:44 AM »
I love to see plenty of fresh air in a turning, the spaces help to define the form. Keeping the piece of timber together is always a challenge but there are ways and means as you have described. I would have given a bit more thought to the production of the stand/ base to match the quality of the work in the turning.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 03:48:44 PM »

Nice piece Kevin... You seem to have captured all elements , but speaking from experience we as well as many others
  have a great deal of difficulty choosing the right kind of plinth, to much  can distract the eye
  from the piece but you seem to have got the blend right , would have preferred to see a black pin as the blue distracts.
  But as always personal choice
   Kind Regards
   Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline BIG KHS

• iron
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 09:15:10 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys will take on board.

The blue post will be going and will be swapped for a chrome one as soon as I get a chance.

To be quite honest I went off it after I epoxied in place.

Regards Kevin