Author Topic: pyrography machines  (Read 2184 times)

Offline strat

• iron
pyrography machines
« on: April 22, 2019, 04:26:54 PM »
Hi all,  I am new to the site. I am contemplating buying a Peter Child pyrography machine as they are reckoned to be pretty good, but I have seen references (pretty old).. on this site and others to a Davan machine made by a guy in Wales. Does anyone have any information regarding how to contact him and if he is still  producing the machine? Apparently the machine is very good and even better than the Peter Child.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: pyrography machines
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 07:12:50 PM »
I have a friend who uses a Davan; I'll contact her and ask if she has contact details for them....will get back to you.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 09:25:28 PM »
Hi Strat,

I have had a Davan machine for around five years and find it an excellent machine. It comes with two pens and you have two connections for them. You just switch power from one to the other. The power control is excellent so you don't struggle to control your 'burning'. You can work on tissue paper through to deep dark lines on hardwoods.  And the kit included several 'points' to get you started but they are easy to make yourself, or you can use other commercial points.

You are right in that it is/was made by an individual.  The contact details I have for him are:- Johnathan Roberts, Compton House, 13 High Street, Tywyn, Gwynedd LL36 9PF  Tel. 01654 710888, but those are from about five years ago.

If you are anywhere near Burton on Trent, Staffs. I would be happy to meet up with you and let you 'have a go' with mine.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 09:34:16 PM by Derwent Woodturning club »
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 09:31:27 PM »
The original maker was Dave Rees, but he retired several years ago and Jonathan Roberts took over the business. However, I am told that Jonathan repairs existing machines, but does not produce any himself. There was also an individual named Nita Bennett, who took on the marketing roll from the outset. It is possible that she still has new machines available....we are trying to get a message to her.
Les

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 10:05:30 PM »
Nita Bennett home 01654 712011 mobile 07544 006218

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 10:44:13 PM »
Nita Bennett home 01654 712011 mobile 07544 006218

Hi Les, thanks for putting more up to date information on this post. My machine still works brilliantly but it is good to have the latest contact details.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline strat

• iron
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 02:30:13 PM »
Wow! I'm blown away by the fast and informative responses. Thanks to everyone. I will follow  up the leads given and let you know how I get on. Thanks again

Offline strat

• iron
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 03:19:02 PM »
Hi all, I spoke to Nita Bennett who said that the Davan machine is not being produced at the moment but may be in the future. I put my name down for one if and when they are produced. As I was born and brought up not far from Tywyn, there is an additional reason for buying this model - the Welsh are a sentimental lot!   In the meantime I am going to get a Peter Child machine.  Thanks again for all the info and thanks to the offer of a try of the machine, unfortunately I live in Kent so not convenient.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 07:05:39 PM »
strat you might contact members of the Kent woodturning group, I expect they have pyro machines and they certainly have the expertise.