Author Topic: Mountain Eyrie  (Read 4572 times)

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
Mountain Eyrie
« on: February 21, 2011, 03:13:51 PM »
  An Eyrie is the nest of a bird of prey, this represents the nest at the top of a mountain peak. The tower is from Chestnut the nest from Sycamore the eggs turned from soapstone.
It stands about 20" tall, and the nest is 7 1/2" diameter. The tower was cut & turned whilst still in the square. and held apart by gold coloured steel rods two rods in the lower section and one in the upper.

Comments welcome.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Andy Coates

Re: Mountain Eyrie
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 06:53:58 PM »
Ah...the nest theme...

I've used the same theme myself. This one had a little story about a woodturner but I can't find it now...

I think you need a third egg, Martin. Otherwise it's a good piece and the blue eggs are a lovley eye catcher.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 07:01:58 PM »
Hi Martin, Nice piece, I agree with Andy another egg please odd is better, now you are going for the carving do you think I will see you on the Chain Saw area at Wetonbirt in August ? ;D ;D Regards John
John Smith

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 10:58:59 PM »
Hi Martin,
            I have come back to view this a coupla' times before passing comment and have come to the conclusion that I like it but I like the concept even more.
 This forum is good at allowing us to see the thought processes behind other's work. It may help me to have an original idea one day!
Well done Martin, a nice piece.
John

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 11:10:05 PM »
Hi Martin
Unusual piece and like John I have looked at it a couple of times, personally its not my cup of tea but you have made a good job of it -well done.
Regards
Ken

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 12:19:27 AM »

???...   It's one of those things which grows on one the more you look, but have to comment sometime...

Different..  outside the box..  new concept..   ???...   like what you've come up with, very original, you've pulled alot of elements together here.

Yes, I like it, Martin, excellent.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 09:41:46 AM »
Hi All,

Thanks for the comments, it has been made for an Arts Trail I am doing soon and to sell the pieces need to be anything but round and brown and because its Art ? they pay so much more hehe.
  I agree about the number of eggs, I was turning a third and it shattered flying all round the workshop sorry Studio lol.

I have now sourced another piece of soapstone and will be making a third egg soon.

Cheers Martin.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 09:44:51 AM by Martin Lawrence »
Martin Lawrence