Author Topic: Home made sanding post  (Read 8594 times)

woody

Home made sanding post
« on: April 29, 2012, 01:10:36 PM »
I made this today for sharpening the Robert sorby tips the table is 5mm thick and so is the bit holder I could probable have got one I think Sorby used to sell something like this but I'm retired and I enjoy making stuff as you can see from one of the 1st photos I need to get a finer sanding disk for metal but for the moment this is working wonderfully

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Home made sanding post
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 02:31:20 PM »
What abrasive are you using - It does not look like Wet & Dry (carborundum = Black) but It would need to be quite a hard substance to take on the hardness of the scraper.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 02:36:26 PM »
What abrasive are you using - It does not look like Wet & Dry (carborundum = Black) but It would need to be quite a hard substance to take on the hardness of the scraper.

It is just an ordinary 4" sanding disk about 120 git that I had laying around that is why I said I need to get some finer metal cutting disk I am going to make a 6" metal disk eventually for the right type of medium 

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 08:40:37 PM »
Nice jig woody, as it's about 120 git finish on the scraper, you'd have a 120 finish to the wood, I may get corrected on my thinking ...   ??? ...
so the finer you can get in git the less sanding ...  then ... would 1200 or more mean NO sanding at all ...   ;D ... off the tool.

We had very fine rubbing down discs with sticky backings for DPA sanders at a body shop I was at years back 80-ish  times move on it's likely velcro now.

Cheers,    David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 09:30:17 PM »
Hi Woody, A very useful sharpening Jig you have made there.Turners Retreat sell a 5" Self Adhesive aluminium oxide discs in packs of 5 from grit 40 to

400grit. The 400 grit are £3.95 per pack of 5 maybe worth a try.Regards John
John Smith

woody

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 09:37:02 PM »
Hi Woody, A very useful sharpening Jig you have made there.Turners Retreat sell a 5" Self Adhesive aluminium oxide discs in packs of 5 from grit 40 to

Thank you John I only live about 15min from them I will have a look
Regards Woody

woody

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 09:52:37 PM »

Thank you John I only live about 15min from them I will have a look
Regards Woody

Just had a look just the job thanks again

woody

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 10:05:15 PM »
Nice jig woody, as it's about 120 git finish on the scraper, you'd have a 120 finish to the wood, I may get corrected on my thinking ...   ??? ...
so the finer you can get in git the less sanding ...  then ... would 1200 or more mean NO sanding at all ...   ;D ... off the tool.

We had very fine rubbing down discs with sticky backings for DPA sanders at a body shop I was at years back 80-ish  times move on it's likely velcro now.

Cheers,    David

No disrespect but I don't think so my  ordinary scrapers get sharpened on a graphite grind stone after all it is the burr on scrapers that do the cutting but we are all entitled to our own opinion and in different respects we could both be right

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 09:07:10 PM »

Cheers Woody, it must just be Tormek and Why you should buy their system, the finer the edge, finer the finish.  There is always a case as to if a scraper should or shouldn't have a burr and some will say to remove a burr from any cutting tool, I am as said, open to correction.

Cheers,         David

woody

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 09:20:31 PM »

Cheers Woody, it must just be Tormek and Why you should buy their system, the finer the edge, finer the finish.  There is always a case as to if a scraper should or shouldn't have a burr and some will say to remove a burr from any cutting tool, I am as said, open to correction.

Cheers,         David

You will have to forgive me I'm one of the old school and I disagree with a lot of these so called experts  that only want to sell there product I actually proved one from one of the big company's wrong when he showed his sharpening system and said no one could sharpen a knife better than his system and it just so happened my friend and I had our trusty pen knife in our pocket that were sharper than the one he just sharpened point proven well on his system anyway at the end of the day it is what works for you I have to ask how did we all manage before all these so called experts (salesmen)
Regards Woody

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 01:54:46 PM »

Very true Old School Rules Vic,  I have always used an Oil stone for sharpening My pocket and Hunting knives, when you could still carry them. I use what has been an old family Steel long before my time, to edge our kitchen knives all the time, steel sharpens steel and makes a beautiful edge.

It is what work for you.          Cheers,            David

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 11:23:09 AM »
Hi
Years ago we used to sharpen the carving knife on the back doorstep.

Tony Malin

woody

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 11:28:31 AM »
Yes I can remember doing that in fact we was over my sons new house and his partner was complaining about her carving knife so I sharpened it on there doorstep and she was amazed.
I'm of to Turners Retreat now to get some sanding disk

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 03:21:45 PM »
Ah yes, I can still remember the dip in rear step from my ol' day's Sunday afternoon sharpening session before carving the joint.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!