Author Topic: powdered stone  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
powdered stone
« on: March 22, 2019, 02:21:57 PM »
I have a project looming for which I'd like to cast some embellishments using powdered stone, such as lapis lazuli and turquoise. Having just spent an age googling this, all I keep coming up against is tiny amounts of powder at silly prices.....is anyone out there currently working with powdered stone and do you care to exchange info regarding suppliers?

Les
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 03:33:03 PM by Les Symonds »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: powdered stone
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 03:23:59 PM »
They are both semi precious stone, so are not going to be cheep... but in small cracks with epoxy or ca it goes a long way, not so good for casting blocks though.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 03:32:44 PM »
Hi Twisted trees.....for what I'm making, I can cut timber shapes and simply cast a superficial film onto them, so cost is not as critical as one might expect. Do you have any info regarding suppliers, please?

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 05:13:18 PM »
Nothing in bigger than 30 gram packets on Ebay and Etsy, lapis lazuli is a pigment so probably artist supplies, while turquoise is more in the jewelry trade.

Having said that, I use brass powder to fill splits from time to time, and 100gm has lasted me about 7 years, so give it a go

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Lapis-Lazuli-Blue-Weathering-Powder-Kromlech-KRMA015/24004253750

https://www.treelineusa.com/crushed-turquoise.html
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 05:40:21 PM by Twisted Trees »
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 07:04:02 PM »

Having said that, I use brass powder to fill splits from time to time, and 100gm has lasted me about 7 years, so give it a go

Thank you Twisted Trees....I'm fully aware of the availability of powdered metals, and use them very, very often  -  a 100 gram pot rarely lasts me as long as a year and I have 4 different metals on the go at any one time. What I have planned must be blue stone powder, so I've ordered some of the lapis from your first link.

Les
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:18:33 PM by Les Symonds »

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 10:37:29 PM »
I have only found powdered turquoise in the States. You can get powdered glass in various colours some which emulate but never quite the same as the stones. I get the glass (frit) from here . The larger the fragments the brighter the colour. I have only used it with CA glue so don't know how it would be with resin.
The yew  has blue glass and the bowl red glass has red glass frit in it

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 07:51:07 PM »
Les,

no idea about gemstone dust or glass Frit. But a long time ago I worked with plastic granuals and made the vase below. The blue line between the two colours is the inset plastic.

I still have some around if you'd like to try some as an experiment. Much kinder on tools than stone or glass I imagine.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 08:45:08 PM »
That's interesting, Bryan! I have some blue plastic granules, but they work only when cast in deep, clear resin. If they are superficial, when sanded down they reveal a white core. Have you cast these into a routed groove?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 09:00:00 PM »
Les, yes, I followed the grain line around with a router to a couple of mm's depth.

I can't remember what I glued them in with, probably Araldite as it was made before I had the Xpoxy set.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 09:32:51 PM »
..... before I had the Xpoxy set.
....ah, I was looking at the xpoxy set-up. The usual makes of epoxy (I use 151) cost an arm and a leg and are far from user-friendly, so I was looking at either buying epoxy in 1kg lots, or at the xpoxy set. Where did you find yours?....UK supplier?

Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 11:21:28 PM »
Les,

I currently have Zap Epoxy 30 min Setting time.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zap-Adhesive-Z-Poxy-30-Minute-Formula-Epoxy-Resin-PT-39/163550814660?epid=137043542&hash=item26146361c4:g:h~kAAOSwUalcEOz1&frcectupt=true
But there are many other brands, that are not quite so expensive.

However at the AWGB Seminar last year House of Resin had a stand, no idea if they do a discount for members but might be worth and ask. And they do lots of interesting colours to mix with resin.
https://houseofresin.co.uk/

Offline Linus

• iron
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 09:00:20 PM »
Les
Can I advise caution here.  I tried to get some crushed turquoise as well and bought some off Etsy at a price that was fairly attractive.  Although the company was in Canada, the product was shipped from China and was full of died Howlite or some other rock.  It was easy to tell as when crushed it was white inside!  Fortunately, when I challenged the supplier he apologised and agreed that the product was not genuine.  He says he no longer uses that source and to give him his dues gave me a full refund immediately.  So watch out, and if it looks cheap it probably isn't genuine.  I fear you have to pay for the real stuff and even then be wary. 

Caveat emptor