Author Topic: The Future is Handmade  (Read 4859 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
The Future is Handmade
« on: March 14, 2019, 02:16:32 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOMujtoicTk&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2an4TST9_SIVaLqcrOPg4wZSpgrYFmEGDYyF8nwICKNX0d3vSy2XNgpsw

A very interesting, thought provoking video from "The Craftsmanship Initiative".
I particularly liked the concept that a craftsman's sense of touch extends beyond his fingertips, through to the tool that he is using.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: The Future is Handmade
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 02:35:44 PM »
Just watched this, worth it. Thought provoking and a lot of sense spoken.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 08:51:35 PM »
Also watched, says all the right things about why I gave up working 'for the man' and decided to go my own way.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 09:40:31 AM »
Nice one Les, thank you for the link. I too like the idea of the extension of the craftsperson through to the tip of the tool but also picked up on the idea of listening to the tools and the material and talking to them. It might sound a bit daft but when we are "in the zone", as they say, woodturning becomes a whole body and mind experience which extends beyond just thinking about it and doing it. Your link also led me to a couple of books by one of the contributors to the video and I may come back to our excellent Forum after I have read them.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 09:44:56 AM »
....It might sound a bit daft but when we are "in the zone", as they say, woodturning becomes a whole body and mind experience which extends beyond just thinking about it and doing it....
....not daft, or even pretentious....I'm constantly asking students to listen to the sounds of their work. Learn the normal sound and you'll soon spot the troublesome sound. Feel the normal, sweet feeling of a clean cut and you'll soon learn to spot the feeling of the tool failing to engage its bevel appropriately, whether that's heel or point engaging without support. It all makes perfect sense.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 05:25:16 PM »
I had to mentor a blind turner at a club I belonged to once (for i surance puproses) and he taught me to 'see through my ears and fingers. Something I try and impart to students who glare at the tool tip as if willing it to do the rigfht thing LOL. It is definitely something that encompases all the senses.....like that stench of burning bone when ylou oush too d-hard with the abrasive and your finger nails starts to burn LOL.

Pete

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 05:50:47 PM »
that's just the smell of melted keratin pete not bone.

happens to me alot as i keep my nails long as i find them rather useful.

hands are like leather these days so i never know i've gone too far till i smell the keratin melting.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 06:02:02 PM »
that's just the smell of melted keratin pete not bone.

happens to me alot as i keep my nails long as i find them rather useful.

hands are like leather these days so i never know i've gone too far till i smell the keratin melting.

I know it isn't bone Steve, smells like it though.

Pete

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 06:24:06 AM »
Interesting and thought provoking, although It may well take a paradigm shift in society for the changes it advocates