Author Topic: Decent quality beginners tool set  (Read 3300 times)

Offline LakeCottage

• iron
  • Total beginner...
Decent quality beginners tool set
« on: February 12, 2019, 07:32:14 PM »
Hi, hoping someone can help me out. I got a lathe today and need to buy some tools for it.

I’m a beginner but not looking for entry level tools, I’d like something decent (not top) quality but have no ideas what brands/makes are good/bad.

Something like a beginners set would be ideal.

What would you say are the essentials to start off with?

Thanks for your help,

Luke
Record Power DML250 10” 5 Speed Mini Lathe

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
Re: Decent quality beginners tool set
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 07:48:58 PM »
Luke,
Before you spend any more money, I would say the essentials are to find a club local to you and go along to get some experience and sound advice (check out the AWGB website for clubs) and to get hold of a copy of Keith Rowley’s book Woodturning: A Foundation Course.
Welcome to the world of Woodturning addicts!

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline LakeCottage

• iron
  • Total beginner...
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 07:58:43 PM »
Great, thanks Dave, will do.
Record Power DML250 10” 5 Speed Mini Lathe

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 10:20:21 PM »
Luke,

Dave has identified the main thing you need to do, and at a club you should find someone who will give you the opportunity to try some of their tools and see what you prefer.

Something you don't say is what you want to make. If it's only bowls, then most of the spindle tools will be a waste for money, at least to begin with. But you will grow into them slowly.

Another idea is to find a (reasonably) local shop that does woodturning tools and equipment. Axminster Tools is slowly opening shops around the country. The Toolpost does just about everything, if you live anywhere near Oxford. Both Axminster and The Toolpost have excellent websites. Your profile does not say where you are, but if you can give us an area we should be able to point you at somewhere as there are many others.

Lastly the toolmakers all have websites, so look up, Henry Taylor, Hamlet, Crown, Ashley Isles & Robert Sorby for tools.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 08:07:53 AM »
Personally I woul d agfree with what's already been said but would add that you are better off buying individual tools rather than a set. You can make most things with about 4 or 5 tools and if possible you should try out as there is so much variation in sizes, grind etc. Noothing beats actually seeing and trying things out first.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 08:38:06 PM »
And get some withut handles, a great begginners project making them and can be done with just the roughing out gouge.
And use either 22 or 28mm copper tubing for the ferrules, a money saver!
Ron

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 10:39:19 PM »
And get some withut handles, a great begginners project making them and can be done with just the roughing out gouge.
And use either 22 or 28mm copper tubing for the ferrules, a money saver!
Ron

Cheaper too LOL.

Pete

Offline Redtails5

• copper
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 08:43:29 AM »
Hi
There has been good advice given to a new member on this forum welcome to a hobby/pastime where you will always have empty pockets and at that moment see some tool that you need. buy it use it once have a catch blame the tool put into some dark corner banished till you are shown how to use it then the magic of wood turning will open to you and you are hooked rod line and sinker.
Just another thought for your standard tools buy seperate handles buy one handle and may 3 or 4 different blades to fit that handle with the use of collets.
The blades can be bought from robert sorby ,crown(mark sanger will sell you crown blades)ashley illes sell blades.
Be careful of buying that bargin off a well known website till
You have found out about the steel and the hardening process that goes into making these blades.
Read every thing and belive nothing. Same for good advice.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 11:06:26 AM »
Normally I don't like buying sets but I will have to say that for general turning ie spindle and bowl the Robert Sorby set has everything that is required and when added up as individual prices are good value for money.
I was a little more fortunate that I won this set at a turning competition at the Ali Pally show before it finished. I use everyone in that set.
But as someone stated above if it is just bowls then buy individual tools for bowl turning.
Buy the best you can from a recommended source like Sorby, Crown, Henry Taylor and the like.

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 12:39:46 PM »
Going back to Pete’s comment about making things cheaper, I was told when I first started turning that “in order to make a small fortune out of woodturning, you need to start with a large fortune”

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 01:31:24 PM »
Going back to Pete’s comment about making things cheaper, I was told when I first started turning that “in order to make a small fortune out of woodturning, you need to start with a large fortune”

Dave

Certainly you need to spend money to make it but as far as tools are concerned you can get away with just a few tools for most jobs. Some tools make life easier but when you start you are better off IMHO working with the basic 4 or 5 tools and mastering them first.

Pete

Offline JollyJim

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 06:15:52 PM »

Dave

Excellent....just love that one, thanks

regards Jim

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 08:45:58 PM »
All the main British makers use the same M2 high speed steel, usually off the same lorry, and the same handful of kilns in Sheffield for their heat treatment so ALL the differences between their tools are visible (But that's probably not what the salesman will tell you!).
With that in mind I would advise you buy a 3/8th" spindle gouge and a simple parting off tool with handles and the rest of the tools unhandled as and when you need them. You can make as many handles as you like with those two tools, its all good practice and also with different handles on each tool you will by-pass the frustration of picking up the wrong tool because they all look the same in the rack.
I would also ignore boxed sets because the tools therein are chosen to suit the maker and his boxes rather than the end user. That's why roughing out gouges are.... to my mind... always underhandled, so that they will fit in the same box as smaller tools.
All the best with whatever you decide
Brian