Author Topic: workshop woodburner  (Read 4602 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: workshop woodburner
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 12:51:46 PM »
"If I had a wood burner I'd be turning in the nude it'd be far to hot and that would be a whole set of different H&S problems LOL."
Oh God Pete! did you have to say that, how am I going to get that image out of my head now? ;D ;D ;D

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 02:43:05 PM »
It only takes one spark to cause a fire even the oil filled radiators can cause a spark when the bi-metal strip that is the temperature control operates and turns on and off the heater. Less likely than a open flame I know. the same applies to any heater that has this method of turning on or off as the temperature drops or rises.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 04:19:06 PM »
It only takes one spark to cause a fire even the oil filled radiators can cause a spark when the bi-metal strip that is the temperature control operates and turns on and off the heater. Less likely than a open flame I know. the same applies to any heater that has this method of turning on or off as the temperature drops or rises.

If you take it to its logical conclusion then any electrical appliance, fixture or machine which isn't certified as intrinsically safe has the potential to start a fire so do we remove all of those too? Perhaps this is overreacting a little?

Offline yashin57

• iron
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 10:40:59 PM »
Thank you all for your replies, especially those who answered the question! The safety aspect I can deal with, as a 30 year Senior Fire Officer who taught Fire Prevention and Operational Firefighting for many years, and with several Health and Safety qualifications.
   Actually most problems occur when housekeeping and management are not given enough attention. If you ignore those it doesn't matter what the source of heat, you could end up with a fire.

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 10:04:00 AM »
I have one in my workshop a pot belly stove surrounded by concrete blocked walls with a concrete slab on top.
Pot belly stove cost about 100 pounds
Flue elbows and other parts  cost about 300 pounds
I only use it when its really cold or have guests around or the neighbors don't have any washing out.
I also have a small electric heater cost about 50 pounds and use that to take the chill of the room.
I always empty the fire of all hot ambers at the end of the day and I always have a fear of the workshop burning down.

I will have to check my insurance out by what you guys are saying the log burner might just have to come out.

Many thanks for posting this, Les