Author Topic: Tim's New Year Tips (2019) Button Jaws  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
Tim's New Year Tips (2019) Button Jaws
« on: January 01, 2019, 06:14:52 PM »
This concern's BUTTON jaws also known as COLE jaws used for re-chucking bowls and platters to enable removal and of chucking points and re-shaping/finishing the bases of such large items.

I use these a lot and have two sets.  The NOVA Cole jaws which can take bowls and platters up to about 265mm (101/2") in diameter, and the AXMINSTER jaws which can take items up to 400mm (153/4") in diameter.

Axminster supply an extremely useful add-on for their jaws which they call Stacking Turn Studs pictured here

Offered as an alternative to the rubber buttons as a primary gripping device, they can also be used with the buttons to give them extra elevation above the eight jaw base-plates.

These are also fully compatible with the NOVA Cole Jaws (the buttons on both sets are secured using screws with identical threads). 

This composite photograph shows (on the left) the standard NOVA Cole jaws gripping an Apple bowl, and the grip is not very secure.  The right hand picture shows the same Cole Jaws with the Axminster Stacking Turn Studs which have dramatically improved the grip.

This picture shows how the studs can be double stacked if required.

NOTE:  Although Axminster state that their button jaws can used at a speed of up to 1,000 rpm, I stick to the advice given with the Nova Cole jaws and never exceed 600rpm (which I find is quite adequate) and also (wherever possible) use tail-stock support.

I have also attached  a PDF listing the maximum and minimum capacities of both the Nova and Axminster jaws which I have printed out as a quick reference when using these jaws.  Hopefully this may be of use to others who use them.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 02:30:48 PM by Tim Pettigrew »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Tim's New Year Tips (2019) Button Jaws
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 09:29:55 PM »
Tim,

I have 2 sets of the Stacking Turn Studs, as the name says they are machined and designed to stack on top of each other.

For one regular job I have, I set up a small set of Coles Jaws with them double stacked and use them to hold square blanks, while I work the top part.

Though I'd never thought of using them to raise the rubber buttons, I'll steal that idea, thanks.

They can also be used to set up a small offset holding for off-centre work, with care.

I think they are the best new turning accessory for some years.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 07:41:43 AM »
Tim although I support what you have said here I feel one of your pictures is unfair. The LH composite picture demonstrates that this is unsecure holding but it is only unsecure because you appear to have the buttons in the wrong way up, in the second picture the buttons are the right way up.
However regardless of that I too own a couple of sets of these buttons and they are very handy.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 09:41:45 AM »
Tim although I support what you have said here I feel one of your pictures is unfair. The LH composite picture demonstrates that this is unsecure holding but it is only unsecure because you appear to have the buttons in the wrong way up, in the second picture the buttons are the right way up.

John many thanks for that.  Looking at the Nova button (I have used the Axminster buttons in the 2nd photo) it is clearly designed to be used that way up (See close up photo of Nova button) .  I wonder if the Nova buttons (on my Cole Jaws) were manufactured with the recess for the screw incorrectly positioned (on the bottom instead of the top) of the buttons)? I think I may discard the original Nova buttons and just use the Axminster ones instead which are clearly a much better design.

Tim
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 11:18:32 AM by Tim Pettigrew »

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 08:51:16 PM »
Tim,

I have 2 sets of the Stacking Turn Studs, as the name says they are machined and designed to stack on top of each other.

For one regular job I have, I set up a small set of Coles Jaws with them double stacked and use them to hold square blanks, while I work the top part.

They can also be used to set up a small offset holding for off-centre work, with care.

I think they are the best new turning accessory for some years.

Many thanks for the feedback Bryan.  I hadn't thought of using them with square blanks or for holding off-centre work, so two new areas of experimentation for me this year!!

Tim