Author Topic: (how) should I arrest fungi in my birch blanks?  (Read 3334 times)

Offline onetruth

• iron
(how) should I arrest fungi in my birch blanks?
« on: December 29, 2018, 02:55:55 AM »
I have quite a lot of Himalayan birch which I felled last year, left in my garden for most of this year, then cut in to bowl blanks a few months ago, since when it has been sat in crates in a cold, damp garage.  When I cut it into blanks there was some (not much) spalting to most of them.  I sealed the end grains with wax at the time.

On moving them into my workshop yesterday, I noticed that nearly all of those that still have bark on are exuding a white foam-like substance from the lenticles, which I presume is fungal hyphae.  Small darkened patches are visible underneath the wax on many (I'm pretty sure they were "clean" when I sealed them).  A couple have an unpleasant looking slimy green decay on the flats, but I suspect this is a separate, local infection.

I'm hoping that this is side effect of a pretty but benign spalting process, but I've no experience in this sort of thing.  I plan on rough-turning the lot of it next month.

What precautions should I consider before/after rough-turning the stuff to halt the decay?

Thanks!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: (how) should I arrest fungi in my birch blanks?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 05:42:56 AM »
The pertinent factors in all of this, are moisture content and ventilation! I can only assume that prior to when you noticed the hyphae yesterday, the blanks had been stacked together too tightly to allow air to move between them. The hyphae are the visible signs of fungal mycelia spreading from the parent fungus within the host timber to another site, so the critical action to take is to stack the blanks in such a way that air can circulate freely; an action which will result in the reduction of moisture content to a point where the fungus can no longer live. Rough turning will help greatly in the process of moisture reduction, so just stack the bowls individually - do not nest them!

One not of caution; birch spalts very, very readily and may well have developed so much white rot that its structure renders it useless for turning, but if this is not yet the case, then you might well be lucky, because it can develop the most amazing spalt patterns.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 12:07:57 PM »
sounds like you've lost it all to the fungi.

as les says birch spalts really fast and personally i'd dry and use anything in the whole betulaceae family within a few weeks or months. even after this has been rough turned it will take a while to dry out and that will have been the best part of 18 months by the sound of it since it was felled and left on the ground.

i won't touch birch if it's over 6 months old (must be off the ground) as birch just does not last that long.

Offline onetruth

• iron
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 07:33:26 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I will restack next time I'm up and hope for some good luck when I turn it next month.

Offline onetruth

• iron
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 07:42:49 PM »
It occurs to me that I have a kiln in my new workshop: basically an insultated box about 1.5m in all directions.  I could move it into there with a lightbulb and a desk fan, and leave the door slightly open?

Should I knock off the wax or leave it on?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 07:45:09 PM by onetruth »

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 01:55:44 PM »
     Hi as said before one of the best methods to stop rot and spalting on all woods is to give them a coat of
     Borax Sodium Tetraborate brush or spray. This natural salt solution halts or prevents all algae and spore ingress.
     Also can prevent and retard already spalted wood, great on sycamore and beech. It also prevents wood worm if
     done when first cut. I have been treating my wood for over 5 years using this method. As said on another thread
     ( page 20 wet ash ) , Though your birch has possibly gone too far. as said  by others on this thread.

Kind Regards Tony

Ps
     There are 2 types of Borax make sure you get the right one

Hope this helps for future reference
       Tony

Ps   Forgot to say don't forget every time the wood cut or turned the borax needs re applying until the wood itself is dry.
       Kind Regards Tony

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 09:19:40 PM by georg »
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 08:50:20 PM »
This sounds lucky to me. You may have some amazing spalted blanks. Follow the suggestions to stop the decay and pick a bad one and give it a go. See what comes out when you turn it.
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 08:51:45 PM »
forgot to say I will test some if you do not want them  ;).

Offline onetruth

• iron
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 01:03:24 AM »
     Hi as said before one of the best methods to stop rot and spalting on all woods is to give them a coat of
     Borax Sodium Tetraborate brush or spray.
That's interesting, haven't heard of it before.  I might not get the chance with this batch, but I'll certainly keep in mind for the future. 

This sounds lucky to me. You may have some amazing spalted blanks. Follow the suggestions to stop the decay and pick a bad one and give it a go. See what comes out when you turn it.
You seem to be the lone optimist.  I'll definately be following your advice just as soon as I have a usable lathe.

I've put them into the "kiln" for now.  It's an insulated box about 1.5m in all directions, but without deliberate ventilation.  The blanks are on wire racks (some on the floor).  Most of the time it's off, but when I'm in the workshop there's a big fan on and a heater to keep it at about 25dC.  I've also got one of those unpowered crystal dehumidifiers in the kiln.  A couple of pics (kiln is big white box in corner of room)...

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 01:05:48 AM by onetruth »

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 04:21:33 PM »
Cor never seen a clean workshop like that before.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 05:00:43 PM »
I am in the process of spring cleaning and rearranging mime but it still doesn't look that clean LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 08:59:22 PM »
any news on the blanks? By the way can you come and clean my house?

Offline onetruth

• iron
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 10:06:51 PM »
any news on the blanks?
So far, just as I left them.  I have bought an inverter, just have to successfully fit it.  First job with a working lathe will be to test the birch.

Re: shed cleanliness: I should point out, no "work" has happened in the workshop since I moved in.  I promise to mess it up for you guys as soon as I can.