Author Topic: YouTube sponsored chanells ! DOH !!!  (Read 5207 times)

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
YouTube sponsored chanells ! DOH !!!
« on: November 08, 2018, 03:24:14 PM »
I sometimes view the woodturning channels on youtube some are OK and some in my opinion are Marmite  :-\

Shame what some people will do , This chap is one example Nick Zammeti , I cant watch them now as it does my head in  :-\ , If I want tools I go to a tool supplier , He also spent ages telling viewers we should listen to audio books while turning ? !

Nough said  :(

Offline happy amateur

• bronze
Re: YouTube sponsored chanells ! DOH !!!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 04:53:06 PM »
Nick does have sponsors for his channel. He also has 274 thousand subscribers so must be doing something right.
Anyway I enjoy his channel. Makers central was very interesting. last one next year. makerscentral.co.uk

Fred Taylor
orchard woodturners

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 12:23:45 PM »
I think it has already been said on this forum not to pay too much attention to what you see on you tube. You do see some disaters just waiting to happen, the famous one is the chap demonstrating why you should not use a spindle roughing gouge on faceplate work, ended up cutting himself, one of the best vids for how not to I have ever seen.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 12:33:37 PM »
So he's popular. Probably just about popular enough to make a living out of it. Which then becomes a self-enforcing cycle. So why is he popular? If you look at some of the videos and, more interestingly, the comments to them, you can see it's got nothing to do with woodturning at all.
He's popular with people who know nothing about woodworking. In fact, I suspect most of his audience don't know much about any craft or industry. They simply found a personable guy who does what they don't dare to do: break the rules.
So in a way this is comparable to going to the cinema to watch an action movie or a superhero or sci-fi movie. You know it's all made up and not for real, but you enjoy anyway. It's called entertainment.

Offline KevinMc

• iron
  • Beginner
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 08:46:36 PM »
Many of the YouTube channels are turning into QVC

We know that many get free items from sponsors but do we need it pushed in our faces?

Why do they have to spend half the video giving shoutouts and back slapping each other for being a great guy or whatever ... then sticker swapping

Oh it’s probbaly just me...

Kevin
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 09:20:43 AM by KevinMc »
Water into Wine and Brass into Gold...No can do...but Wood into shavings Ohhhhh Yes. 😀

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 11:45:38 PM »
Many of the YouTube channels are turning into QVC

We know that many get free items from sponsors but do we need it pushed in our faces?

Why do they have to spend half the video giveing shout outs and back slapping each other for being a great guy or whatever ... then sticker swapping

Oh it’s probbaly just me...

Kevin

No Its not just you  ;D

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 06:11:44 PM »
A few years back I worked with a guy who ran down all of the TV 'soaps' ... but he must've watched Coronation Street episodes religiously as he would talk at tea and lunch breaks (to anyone that would listen) as if the characters were real and lived on his street !! 

I do watch some YouTube videos by woodturners, but I'm particular about which ones, based on content, info shared and skills demonstrated etc.  I've never subscribed to any and it doesn't take me long to press the stop button if the quality isn't there as I won't be bored or risk bad advice etc.

Similar to TV 'soaps' I guess' it's our perogative to watch or not, YouTube videos aren't forced on us.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 08:29:22 PM »
A few years back I worked with a guy who ran down all of the TV 'soaps' ... but he must've watched Coronation Street episodes religiously as he would talk at tea and lunch breaks (to anyone that would listen) as if the characters were real and lived on his street !! 

I do watch some YouTube videos by woodturners, but I'm particular about which ones, based on content, info shared and skills demonstrated etc.  I've never subscribed to any and it doesn't take me long to press the stop button if the quality isn't there as I won't be bored or risk bad advice etc.

Similar to TV 'soaps' I guess' it's our perogative to watch or not, YouTube videos aren't forced on us.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 11:24:54 PM »
Biggest problem with YouTube is that new turners watch and don't always realise that the methods are downright dangerous. Even some of the skilled, experienced demonstrators on You Tube can at times give the impression that something is actually quite easy. Responsible turners will put a provisor of 'don't try this at home'on their video.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 08:35:36 AM »
Morning Pete,

Yes, I agree:         "Responsible turners will put a provisor of 'don't try this at home'on their video. " 

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 12:30:10 AM »
I don't think every turning video needs a disclaimer. It depends on the content and how the presenter conveys the information, risks etc.

But getting back to the subject - companies are going to exploit any medium that will give them a return. Youtube is just one of many methods they use to communicate with their potential customers.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 01:57:24 PM »
 Carl Jacobson has gone the same way , I enjoyed his videos but not any more , Its all advertising in your face sadly  :(

Offline Les

• iron
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 05:12:29 PM »
I think it has already been said on this forum not to pay too much attention to what you see on you tube. You do see some disaters just waiting to happen, the famous one is the chap demonstrating why you should not use a spindle roughing gouge on faceplate work, ended up cutting himself, one of the best vids for how not to I have ever seen.

I do agree John to a point,  but there is some great content on You Tube. Its not all bad practice, we need to educate the watchers, I am afraid that it will become a them and us scenario which will help know-one

Les

Offline yashin57

• iron
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 08:22:45 PM »
Just a thought...…….Why doesn't the AWGB do a YouTube channel, with instructional pieces so we can keep making sure that those taking up the craft can get safe and competent info straight from the start. It would be a good advert for the association too.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 09:41:46 PM »
Just a thought...…….Why doesn't the AWGB do a YouTube channel, with instructional pieces so we can keep making sure that those taking up the craft can get safe and competent info straight from the start. It would be a good advert for the association too.

Probably because the AWGB is predominantly run by volunteers who simply don't have the time and/or the equipment etc to do so. if someone wants to take up the craft there is a list of competent tutores available both on this site and with the RPT. What is perhaps needed is for more of us to shout out when we see bad and dangerous practices both in real life and on line.

Pegte
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities