Author Topic: Branding your work  (Read 5732 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Branding your work
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 06:42:46 PM »
Nick Zammeti recommends this guy for inserts and branding irons.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/vonHanke?ref=l2-shop-info-avatar

Fred Taylor
orchard-woodturners.org.uk

Blimey, may be good quality but think I'll stick to pyro, a lot cheaoer LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Hartwood

• copper
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 06:58:05 PM »
In addtion to BHT point about flat bottoms, MC together with Braning Iron Temperature affect quality of brand,I have had one for years the only way to obtain consistant results is with a recess base and an insert. every time the temp is checked on test piece the iron cools !! Not the best idea or tool I have had.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 07:34:06 PM »
i don't brand my work if it's just a bowl or a vase but i do put this into one of my skittles if you buy a set.

That looks great. I assume you use a lettering stencil? Is it a regular straight one?

i had these made by a guy who does laser cut things on ebay. they are 40mm wide and 4m thick and sealed in with a layer of superglue. they cost 50P each and i think i bought about 100?

i need to get some more soon.

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 08:56:13 PM »
I can recommend Mick Shaw in Sheffield for brands and stamps for marking wood. He made my joiners stamp for me (for marking tools, etc), and makes excellent fire and electric brands for wood marking as well. His website is www.mshaw.co.uk
I'm not sure how competitive he is on price, but I prefer a quality product made locally by a craftsman, and he certainly ticks all these boxes!

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2018, 01:24:06 PM »
i don't brand my work if it's just a bowl or a vase but i do put this into one of my skittles if you buy a set.

That looks great. I assume you use a lettering stencil? Is it a regular straight one?

i had these made by a guy who does laser cut things on ebay. they are 40mm wide and 4m thick and sealed in with a layer of superglue. they cost 50P each and i think i bought about 100?

I have the same as Steve cheap as chips and very professional looking The image was a prototype so ignore the typo.

i need to get some more soon.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads