Author Topic: Simon Hope Easy arm hollowing jig  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
Simon Hope Easy arm hollowing jig
« on: October 11, 2018, 03:44:11 PM »
Simon Hope Easy arm hollowing jig  + full laser system

Looking at this kit on Simon Hope's website it looks an ideal tool for the small-scale hollowing I'm aiming to do.

I note that Simon will be at the North of England Woodworking, Power Tool Show on the 16th - 18th November which I will be attending and hopefully see this system in detail if not in action.

I just wondered if anyone else is using this system and if so how do they rate it?

Many thanks for any advice on this.

Tim

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Simon Hope Easy arm hollowing jig
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 08:43:45 PM »
Tim,

the Simon Hope hollowing jig is frighteningly effective and easy to use.

The first think I did with it was a cherry form to a 4mm wall thickness, the last thing I've done with it was the Pollard Knuckle, I posted in this forum (http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,5397.0.html
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 09:46:32 PM »
Hi Tim....I bought one shortly after getting a neck injury and it has been brilliant. The jig takes all the strain out of the task and allowed me to hollow without stooping. I still use the cutting tip and shaft in another handle for less demanding projects which don't really need the whole jig....wouldn't be without it.

Also....I recall being impressed by the weight and rigidity from them moment I bought it. Greta piece of kit.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 10:46:10 PM »
Very many thanks Bryan (very informative link to your post on the pollard knuckle), and thanks also for your reasoned endorsement Les.  Am very much looking forward to having a good look at that (and other kit) at Harrogate and it seems increasingly likely that I will be acquiring an early Christmas present  ;D

If I do go for it,  I will post an appraisal and pictures of the results of my efforts.

Thanks again

Tim

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 07:39:41 AM »
Harrogate ...
...I'll keep an eye out for you....I'm getting a lift on a bus-load of turners from the Gwynedd club.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 08:25:24 AM »
Tim I use the hollowing system that you are talking about. I am carrying a lump of metal in my side and it can get uncomfortable leaning ovr the bed of the lathe but th hollowing system allows me to stand upright, as Bryan said it is frighteningly easy to use, set up correctly I can hollow out with just fingertip control. I use the laser with it and that is really good too.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 10:24:55 PM »
Tim I use the hollowing system that you are talking about. I am carrying a lump of metal in my side and it can get uncomfortable leaning ovr the bed of the lathe but th hollowing system allows me to stand upright, as Bryan said it is frighteningly easy to use, set up correctly I can hollow out with just fingertip control. I use the laser with it and that is really good too.

Many thanks for that endorsement John.  I think that the laser guide is the icing on the cake so to speak, and definitely worth having as most of the hollowing will be working blind with the cutter totally hidden.

Tim

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 10:27:46 PM »
Harrogate ...
...I'll keep an eye out for you....I'm getting a lift on a bus-load of turners from the Gwynedd club.
Les

Be great to have a chat

Tim