Author Topic: Carrying woodturning tools  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Carrying woodturning tools
« on: September 25, 2018, 02:22:09 PM »
As a beginner, I was just wondering how do folk carry their tools - in particular their chisels/gouges - when taking them out of the workshop (for whatever reason). I've looked at tool-rolls, but most are too short and I wonder how much protection they would give to the cutting edge of these tools or, indeed, it the tools would eventually cut through and end up poking out - which could be disastrous. I'd love to hear/see what others do :)

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
Re: Carrying woodturning tools
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 05:33:23 PM »
I use a sturdy canvas bag, with the gouge ends covered in pipe insulation or whatever takes your fancy.
There are some good commercial tool rolls on sale but they are pricey.

Otherwise, I guess it's a large (ie 26" long) toolbox.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 07:25:28 PM »
I use a plastic Stanley tool box about 24-26 inches long. I am the only person that puts his hands in this box so I do not worry too much about protecting the blades from cutting others and as I like long(ish) handles on most of my tools they fill the compartment so they don't slide about and get damaged.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 10:59:58 PM »
I have a tool box like John and no-one else goes near it at demos etc. They get placed in the bottom with other tools etc on top so far no problems with cuts, damage etc.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 01:22:34 AM »
I also use a box never had to worry about anyone getting cut as no one else does in mine either. I have a set way to load it and have a second box for my finishes and blanks.