Author Topic: Craft Fairs  (Read 25133 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Craft Fairs
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2018, 09:23:25 PM »
Everything above but a couple of quick thoughts;

You need 3 conversation openers, to get people talking

You'll be lucky to sell more than one nice item at a normal sized show. So make sure you have lots of small (impulse) buy items, that don't cost more than a few pounds.
Guess I'm lucky then!

Me too.
The comment about cards is valid if you want to sell items more than pocket money price. PayPal or iZettle (we use the latter) both have machines that work through your phone and the one we use has given us no problems over the last couple of years.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2018, 10:30:27 PM »
Totally impressed with our iZettle.( as long as you have a phone signal) I think they take 1.75% and the money goes straight into your own bank account. So much easier than the old Paypal system.

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2018, 10:59:09 AM »
Regarding payments, some of the large shows offer a credit card purchase system at a modest fee. Getting a signal can be a problem anywhere. I had trouble last year in a city centre location because I was in a basement and marquee shows in stately home gardens often give problems. I often resort to the old fashioned "click clack" card swipe system and put the details through later when back in civilisation. Over ten years of showing I have moved from one or two card transactions per show to as many as 50%. One guy I met refused to accept card payments. He insisted on cash or cheque (remember those ?). If a customer did not have enough cash or a cheque book he let them take the piece and gave them a stamped and self  addressed envelope to send the cheque after their return home. He said that the system never let him down !
On my stand I have "woody" quotes for people to read, photographs of mountains because I like them and photographs of statement pieces. All have provided conversation openers in the past ! One thing though, choose your opening gambit carefully, I see colleagues who pounce on people as they walk past the stand. Nothing could be more off putting. Let them show an inkling of interest first !
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2018, 11:16:45 AM »
A few years ago we found the same as John regarding phone connections but now we seem to be OK virtually everywhere. Both the phones and the networks are a lot better than they used to be. I have taken cheques but usually prefer not to for obvious reasons. A good 50% of our takings are now on a card and virtually all transactions ovder £25 are card. I agree with being carefull not to pounce on people. I usually just do a 'Good mornoing or afternoon' and after that depends on their responc=se. If tney are obviously studying sonmething I encourage them to pick up but apart from that I know how much I dislike people trying to 'sell' me things and apart from a bit of banter don't try and push it. I always say that making things is the easy part sellking is the hard bit and I suppose I am more fortunate than some in not being alone but having someone with experience with me.

Pete

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 01:46:26 PM »
only deal in cash myself and take £100 or over for single items but the rest are £20 plus so i guess there is an ATM in the vicinity.

Offline Danny

• iron
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 03:01:41 PM »
Go for it George :) :)

• platinum
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2018, 04:36:58 PM »
only deal in cash myself and take £100 or over for single items but the rest are £20 plus so i guess there is an ATM in the vicinity.
Steve I only used to deal in cash at one time as it was so much easier, but I am now convinced that cash only loses sales 'cos a lot of people don't carry cash these days. I'm sure my sales have gone up since getting the card machine.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2018, 10:31:58 PM »
interesting, i've never actually been asked if i take cards at this fair i do but perhaps because i only do this single fair people just know that they need cash on the day.

it is right inside eton college so plenty of people with cash around (usually the parents of the students) but also us mere mortals come prepared with enough notes to spend or if they like it enough they just go and get the cash for it.

when i was doing 20 per year i was considering it though...

one time i literally saw a bloke whip out a half inch wad of 20's and 50's just to buy some of what his wife and daughter saw on my stall so as i don't do other fairs i don't need to have a card reader.

• platinum
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2018, 11:01:40 PM »
"one time i literally saw a bloke whip out a half inch wad of 20's and 50's just to buy some of what his wife and daughter saw on my stall so as i don't do other fairs i don't need to have a card reader."
Unfortunately not many of this type of person about these days.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2018, 07:53:59 AM »
Only place I had that happen was at a very small floating market I did recently in Bradford. Most unlikely looking person at the most unlikely venue. Every show is a gamble and different

pete

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2018, 07:20:24 PM »
Just found this, last show with Mo, Ed Oliver and Karen Oliver. Joys of doing shows LOL. It rained all day and wind up to 40mph. Not the best day

Pete

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2018, 04:58:30 PM »
But Ed still wore shorts !  :)
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

• platinum
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2018, 07:39:53 PM »
That's because he can't afford a full pair of trousers.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2018, 08:11:06 PM »
That's because he can't afford a full pair of trousers.

Or just plain tight ;D ;D ;D.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2018, 06:48:29 AM »
Don't know what your on about it was a lovely day  ;D ;D ;D

Great to catch up with you both again Pete & Mo  :) :)

I've not found craft shows to successful. I charge my work out at a proper hourly rate (30.00 per hour), then add the costs of wood and a bit for consumables, build in something to cover costs, stand, living expense while at the show that sort of thing.

I sell piece's of my work and have sold piece's for 4 figures but someone has to fall in love with the piece before they are going to part with that sort of money. I understand this and turn the piece's that I want to make, but looking over the three years Ive been do a couple of high end craft fairs a year it's a bit of a lottery. So if your planing on selling work like this find yourself a couple of gallery's.

All the best

Ed