Author Topic: Lichtenberg - reminder  (Read 7251 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Re: Lichtenberg - reminder
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2018, 02:42:08 PM »
That was the point of my OP that a unit has been manufactured to address the poorly made "in the shed" units that was designed and built by someone with extensive experience in the field of high voltage. The creator and manufacturer of the unit, has used his many years of high voltage experience in the military to create this unit. Designed from the ground up to safely perform the process.

This surely meets the above criteria of must be limited to the pros and cons of the process and the development of safety standards
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:44:07 PM by Lazurus »
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 05:00:04 PM »
66 views and 11 replies. Wouldn't it be lovely if this was the sort of response to posts regarding peoples work.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 05:39:01 PM »
Wouldn't it be lovely if this was the sort of response to posts regarding peoples work.
You might not think that if it was equally as critical.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 07:13:42 PM »
As the Health and Safety coordinator I applaud the removal of the posts that were(in the end) blatantly advertising the sale of a machine that could easily result in the death of a user. Regardless of how the machine has been made and to what specification it relies on an open circuit to conduct electricity across a piece of wood. As the H&S person on the AWGB I am not willing to have the death of one of our members on my conscience just to satisfy another person's artistic wish or to help make a sale of a machine which I very much doubt would pass UK safety standards and I am sure would not pass a PAT test in use. However, I am quite happy to relinquish my post to those of you that are willing to muck about with dangerous stuff that you really do not know that much about and who obviously do not care who gets hurt. The UK woodturning mags, the AWGB , the RPT and the Worshipful Company of Turners along with organisations from other countries, made up from many very experienced woodturners that have taken the time to consider this topic have all decided it is too dangerous, am I going to listen to them or you lot? You already have my answer. I get annoyed when there are experienced people here trying to do the best for the woodturners of this country and then those that have only been turning for 5 minutes come along thinking they know all the answers and try and make thing difficult, just for once listen to the voice of those trying to help and protect you.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 08:28:03 PM »

WELL SAID BHT  Shouldn't that be the end of this thread  ???

Regards John
John Smith

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 09:26:26 PM »
to be honest BHT i do agree with you but if someone kills themself with a chainsaw will everyone say "oh that's rotten luck" yet if someone dies with the use of this machine it would be "i told you so"?

to censor the talk to just pros and cons of only this gadget is unfair unless we apply it to all equally dangerous machines.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 10:18:16 PM »
That was the point of my OP that a unit has been manufactured...

Reference to a particular manufacturer and / or links to the source breaches the policy I referred to earlier - hence the removal.

I would like to add that there is no "safe" unit in existence that would pass current European safety standards. Logically, if a unit was safe, it would have no need for a dead man's (the name is wholly appropriate here) switch.

I would also add that most people who are injured by chainsaws etc. live to tell the tale. The same cannot be said for those who end up on the wrong end of a high voltage transformer.

And to reiterate, the AWGB isn't trying to stifle sensible debate, it aims to avoid providing potentially inexperienced people with enough information to kill themselves before they learn enough to prevent that happening. I am aware that there is plenty of information out there on numerous ways to reduce the human population by one (you!) but several organisations and companies in the woodturning field are all in agreement that they won't become a channel for that information because they would prefer you to stick around for a while longer. Hopefully this sends a strong message to anyone considering experimenting.

I understand that not everyone takes the trouble to read the forum policy when they sign up or they don't re-read it when we announce updates. That's why I gave those concerned the benefit of the doubt and took the trouble to provide links to the policies in question. Adherence to the forum user agreement is a requirement of all AWGB forum participants.

Offline APH

• bronze
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 10:30:32 PM »
Reference to a particular manufacturer and / or links to the source breaches the policy I referred to earlier
Actually it doesn't. Maybe you should read the detail of what you've posted yourself.
And to reiterate, the AWGB isn't trying to stifle sensible debate,
You just have.
The original post didn't tell anyone how to build or manufacture a unit, it just referenced a manufactured unit for discussion.
Without discussion there's no hope that people can be made aware of the dangers of the process, banning discussion entirely (as you have done) does nothing to advance an understanding of the risks involved.

Anyone interested will find out all they want from Google and YouTube, without much qualification.

Offline APH

• bronze
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 10:31:12 PM »
As the Health and Safety coordinator
Remind us of your qualifications for this role ?

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2018, 11:26:31 PM »
As the Health and Safety coordinator
Remind us of your qualifications for this role ?
coordinator
ˌkəʊˈɔːdɪneɪtə/
noun
noun: coordinator; plural noun: coordinators; noun: co-ordinator; plural noun: co-ordinators

a person whose job is to organize events or activities and to negotiate with others in order to ensure they work together effectively.
    "a full-time coordinator was appointed to oversee the referral process"

Add to that qualifications to use every woodworking machine you can think of , qualified to teach the safe operation of woodworking machinery, nearly 50 years experience in the use of woodworking machinery. So I suggest you stop acting like a child and grow up.

Offline APH

• bronze
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2018, 09:18:12 AM »
So any actual qualifications you can list then ?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2018, 09:42:22 AM »
APH! Why don't you cut the aggressiveness and leave this alone. As John (D Smith) said this thread should be finished.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2018, 09:55:27 AM »
APH, there is no need to be aggressive toward any individual and i urge you to apologise to BHT immediately.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2018, 10:00:54 AM »
APH....we are trying to bring this thread to an end but you keep persisting. John has stated that he is qualified to both use and to teach the safe use of machinery. Is that not enough for you?

I will add that I am formally qualified, by the British Safety Council, to assess safe working practices and to assess hazards and risks in the workplace and I fully support both John's and Paul's stance on this.

As Steve says, make an apology and let's all move on to something more constructive.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline APH

• bronze
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2018, 10:17:36 AM »
John has stated that he is qualified to both use and to teach the safe use of machinery. Is that not enough for you?
In a word, no. People on the internet make all sorts of claims that they can't back up. Asking for qualifications is hardly 'agressive', ever read Twitter ?
I will add that I am formally qualified, by the British Safety Council,
Now that sounds a proper qualification.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:20:09 AM by APH »