Author Topic: Prototypes for shows  (Read 1809 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Prototypes for shows
« on: August 12, 2018, 12:51:05 PM »
Each year I try and have something different for the shows as the same people often come. Those of you who look at other work will probably recognise the influences behind these prototypes. I am going to do a selection of different variations. C&C welcome as always.

Pete
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 05:07:08 PM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline John Plater

• gold
Re: Prototypes for shows
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 09:48:06 AM »
Hello Pete,
This design is not for me but the reasoning behind wanting to make new stuff for shows is quite valid. You have obviously needed to address the issue of catering for returning customers; do you make more of the same but maybe with different timbers if that is the type of work you prefer to do or, do you try to be different because you feel you need to? One also runs into the "problem" of making that which sells or making that which one wants to. That is allied to the issue of selling out of interest or selling to put food on the table.
So, on balance I hope that your initiative works for you in a way which does not turn turning into a chore  :)
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 01:10:20 PM »
Thank you for the comments John. Having done the same shows for some years you get an idea of what sells. I keep the basic things the same especially around the Christmas period as they always sell but try and have something that is different that attracts attentiomn. Mo's work does that but being more expensive we sell some but need a lotof simoler, qui cker to make things that are different. I find that the basic bowls, pens type of work is not very popular unless it is very different. These will be done in all sorts of different woods and to different designs, quirky sells well. The tipsy off centre range I started a year or so ago has been selling well as goblets, candle sticks and pillars and tazaas so that will continue to some extent.Doing shows you need to forget what turners like or dislike and make things that the public like and as much as possible that ylou enjoy as well.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 03:24:13 PM »
Hi Pete (and Mo)....I'm sure that these will go down a treat with the punters; they're happy little souls and will be quite appealing.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 04:56:01 PM »
Certainly attract people to the stall and see what else you have. I like the little fellows

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 08:54:44 PM »
Pete,

two things, where does Mo do her Pyro work on them (just kidding).

But if the stand is the birds leg, I think they are a little thick, but otherwise to love the idea behind these.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 08:05:52 AM »
Hi Pete

I can see people liking these at the right price  :)

All the best

Ed