Author Topic: Wellingtonia "burr"...removing the resin!  (Read 4445 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Wellingtonia "burr"...removing the resin!
« on: July 21, 2018, 08:49:51 PM »
A couple of years ago a local tree surgeon who finds all sorts of goodies for me, burst through my shop door carrying a big lump of timber. He's a huge bloke with a booming voice, which rang out, "This any good to you, Syms?"
What he was carrying appeared to be a good-sized burr, which he assured me was a wellingtonia. Well, a burr it definitely was not, but it was quite understandable that a tree surgeon would mistake it for one. It was a broadly hemi-spherical lump, about 65cm diameter and 20cm deep and its smell was amazing.
I turned it today and once again, the smell returned a strongly as before. It turned really well without any tear out, and there was loads of evidence of resin pockets, most of which had crystalised into hard, silvery deposits in the grain. The bark was beautiful, very like English Walnut bark, in that it appears to be made up of strata of varying intensity in colour, but instead of walnut brown, this was a range of reds.
Anyway, what is left is a 16" x 5" bowl with s waxy feel to it, which is presumably resinous content in the timber. What I need to know is what I can do to the surface to reduce the waxiness of the resin, otherwise I fear that it will all bubble up to the surface and spoil the finish. I've tried wiping it with cellulose thinners, so we'll see what it feels like in the morning. I'm just interested to see if anyone else has turned this timber and how they got on with the problem of the resin.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Wellingtonia "burr"...removing the resin!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 09:10:57 PM »
I had this problem once with Cedar and I tried everything to remove the resin.In the end I rang Mark Baker and he said the only thing that would remove it was celulose thiners and he was right one good wipe over removed it then about a month later it was the same again.I removed it again and that did the trick it never came back
It took two aplications but it did the trick

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 09:16:04 PM »
That's very useful to know, George. I was making stock for a summer show at a gallery, so I better not send this until it's had time to settle and had its second wash.
Thanks George....Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 11:30:49 PM »
To remove the oiliness from Teak, you wipe it with Acetone.

Try a drop of Sally's nail varnish remover on an offcut or the base. 
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 04:53:24 AM »
Thanks Bryan....that triggered a memory from my grammar school days, of the woodwork teacher telling us to wash the surface of teak with carbon tet (tetrachloride) to remove the greasiness. I'd probably have a greater chance of finding it in our house, than I would of finding nail varnish remover.....Sal never uses nail varnish!

Les

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 11:31:34 AM »
Les I know as a professional turner you will take all sensible precautions but as the H&S chap I have to say to you to be careful. This extract taken from a public health site: Carbon Tetrachloride can be toxic in both liquid and gas forms. The chemical is dangerous if it's ingested, inhaled, or absorbed through your skin. Poisoning can cause toxic hepatitis and death. Animal studies have also linked exposure to this chemical with hepatocellular carcinoma, which is a type of liver cancer.

Gorgeous grain on the bowl though, well done .

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 12:29:58 PM »
Thank you John....fear not, I have no intention of buying carbon tet. My original idea, backed up by George's suggestion, of using cellulose thinners has worked a treat. I gave it a thorough wash last night, then a second wash a few hours later, which brought the surface dry enough to be able to sand.
The grain looks even more spectacular now that it's been properly cleaned up (last night's picture was straight off the tool), and I've given it a coat of BLO, which has brought the colour up to a beautiful mixture of reds and browns.

Les

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 01:41:29 PM »
Hope you can kep the reds Les as usually they just turn brown, be nice if you can.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 02:45:12 PM »
Hope you can kep the reds Les as usually they just turn brown, be nice if you can.

In that case, I shall find a prominent spot for it inside the shop and keep it away from the window....hope it sells quickly.
Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 08:01:17 PM »
I think you'll find Carbon Tet is a CFC and banned under the Montreal Protocol.

However Acetone (nail varnish remover) is available in 100ml bottles for £1 from the £1 shops.

I keep a bottle handy within reach of the lathe, as it's also the chemical that devolves dissolves Superglue (top tip). And as Acetone is naturally produced by the body, generally harmless, but please don't drink it!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 10:17:15 PM by dr4g0nfly »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 08:37:11 PM »
I love the way that a post on this forum can result in all sorts of information being exchanged....good stuff going on here!
Les

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 04:59:40 PM »
What intrigues me is we all know the general  properties of acetone and we all know not to drink it but does this mean that someone did drink it to find out? Incidentally the smell of acetone(pear drops) on the breath is an indicator for diabetes.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 05:20:58 PM »
Indeed John...and by the way, the red colour of the timber is absolutely singing this afternoon....it's had a couple of coats of BLO and is really looking the biz.

Will try to get some photos later.... Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 07:20:24 PM »
John.

No, no one tried to drink acetone to my knowledge. But a few years back I posted a thread about a particularly nasty, but useful paint thinner and the thread took off as if it was suggested that people were going to start doing stupid things with it, like drink it!

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 10:38:30 PM »
Typical   ::) ::) ::)