Author Topic: brazilian mahogany  (Read 1458 times)

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
brazilian mahogany
« on: July 18, 2018, 09:18:43 PM »
got a piece of brazilian mahogany in a job lot from ebay. (brilliant amount of blanks for very little money) Its about 18" x 8" x1.5" now this is old timber a bit of a garage find . I have a feeling you cannot sell it anymore or am I making this up?
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: brazilian mahogany
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 09:50:35 PM »
It's cities listed yes. Think you can get it for a ridiculous price from accredited dealers otherwise it kis a case of knowing what it looks like and getting it in the form of old furniture.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 10:06:56 PM »
It is not that you can't sell it more of you can't buy it. Make something special from it and enjoy the turning process, no other timber turns like Brazilian Mahogany. Used to turn it all the time. Watch the dust though as it will make you sneeze.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 07:41:12 AM »
I learned to turn in school a few years ago on it along with parana pine. Both now in short supply. As John said, makes you sneeze.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 10:39:29 AM »
you can buy and sell species listed on CITES to your heart's content.

what you can't do is send it abroad in its raw form (except to the other EU countries whilst we are still in it) as for that you would need CITES documents which are very expensive. even some finished products made from certain timbers are not allowed to be sent.

i buy lots of mahogany (african and american) whenever i can for personal use either as unused boards or as large blocks (like snooker table legs) and it is great to turn but can be dusty as has been said. try to slice rather than scrape as this keeps the dust down.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 10:44:02 AM by seventhdevil »

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 11:05:54 AM »
thanks. Great info as usual.
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.