Author Topic: Alternative Ivory  (Read 2099 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Alternative Ivory
« on: July 17, 2018, 09:14:57 AM »
I wish to buy some alternative Ivory but the prices of the suppliers I have looked at are ridiculous and I would rather not buy than spend that sort of money. Does anyone have a good, reasonably sensibly priced supplier please?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Alternative Ivory
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 09:38:49 AM »
What sort of sizes are you after, John? I used tegua nuts recently for restoring a carved wooden elephant and it as ideal for tusks and toenails, but not much use for anything larger.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 10:08:11 AM »
Hello John
I have used tagua nut for small items too and also a cast resin product which I think that I bought from Ed Oliver.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 10:14:41 AM »
I have also used tagua nuts quite successfully.  $62 for 15 50mm nuts including shipping (ebay, from US) - not sure if you regard this as expensive! 

The nuts are fine and turn well, but note that they have a hollow in the centre - so you can make a round object quite easily (I made a light cord pull perhaps 30mm or a bit more across) and no finish is needed - just polish with very fine grit (like a CA finish).  You can also slice and stack to get a longer straight section (for a pen for example) but this is a bit fiddly. There are typically cracks radiating from the central hole (it is a seed after all!) but these can be seen as patina!  Small pieces fine for inlay.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:35:26 AM by willstewart »

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 12:17:02 PM »
How about casting your own resin and coloring to suit the project in hand, I do a lot of resin work and is a simple reliable process if you get the correct resin. try easy composites for advice very helpful.

Stuart
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 01:13:41 PM »
Hi John

Try looking at these suppliers:

http://www.gpsagencies.co.uk/where-to-buy/

GPS Agencies are a corporate member and on the Awgb Website thet offer a 10% discouint.

I have a bit if you don't need much send me an email and I'll see if I have enough to help out.

Cheers dave

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 10:47:40 PM »
Thanks all for your help, I have Tagua nuts in stock but they are the wrong size for the project I have in mind. It is a shame GPS doesn't sell direct to the public. I will bite the bullet and buy the sizes I need (for the November competitions) Stuart I wouldn't mind casting some do you have  a website address?
Many thanks Dave for your kind offer.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 07:31:40 PM »
Thanks all for your help, I have Tagua nuts in stock but they are the wrong size for the project I have in mind. It is a shame GPS doesn't sell direct to the public. I will bite the bullet and buy the sizes I need (for the November competitions) Stuart I wouldn't mind casting some do you have  a website address?
Many thanks Dave for your kind offer.

I can thoroughly recommend Easy Composites http://www.easycomposites.co.uk

I use their Water clear polyester resin but worth a call or email to see if they would recommend something different, very helpful people.

S.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 08:00:28 PM »
Have a chat to some of the penturners HERE someone may be able to help if no other leads pan out

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 10:07:23 PM »
Thanks all.