Author Topic: outboard turning on the cheap  (Read 1392 times)

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
outboard turning on the cheap
« on: July 12, 2018, 08:39:33 PM »
Has anyone used an old lathe with out the bed to make a bowl turning lathe? I have a small axminster hobby lathe which suits me at the moment but would like to turn bigger bowls. There is a clarke lathe cheap on ebay at the moment. 183308020677.
1/2 hp motor. which seems to be adaptable. Do the steel round bed arms come off? I was thinking of just bolting the headstock part to a bench. Am I being stupid?
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: outboard turning on the cheap
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 09:09:00 PM »
The Union Graduate has a threaded outboard headstock (not sure that sound right) and a small plate which has various ways of clamping a toolpost and was specifically for bowl turning, larger bowls than would fit over the bed. It had a Left hand Thread so a chuck or faceplate could be fitted, you just had to turn with the wood rotating in the 'wrong' direction.

Hughie (also of this forum) has built his own Bowl turning lathe, big lump od fabricated steel, motor, pillow blocks to support the headstock shaft. Works very well.

Would your idea work, yes, but...

Half Horsepower motor is not very strong, Clark lathes are cheap Chinese so the headstock bearings might be a bit worn or likely to wear out fast under heavy pressure.

How are you going to support the toolpost if the head hangs over the bench. You'll be putting a fair amount of down pressure on it with the tool engaged with the timber.

There are all sorts of things to take into account and you'll excuse me, but Safety is not just one of them, it's the Main One of them.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
Re: outboard turning on the cheap
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 10:20:21 PM »
Thanks,I think I will have a re think. I thought there would be good reasons why no one did it. :-\
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.